Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: can't change read/write mode on HDD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1

    can't change read/write mode on HDD

    Installed Knoppix 3.3 to HDD. I have 2 SCSI drives, and they are paritioned as follows:

    sda:
    sda1 (boot)(ext2)
    sda2 (swap)
    sda3 (/)(ext3)

    sdb:
    sdb1 (ext3)

    Both were found on install, and mount for me...I can browse them from the desktop just fine.

    However, I can't write to them, and right clicking the drives DOES show me the "change read/write mode" option, but when I click on it, my cursor shows busy, then nothing happens. I am still not able to write to these partitions (unless, of course, I'm root)

    I have tried (as root)

    mount -t ext3 -0 remount,rw /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

    and have not gotten any error messages, so I assume that whatever was supposed to happen, happened.

    Because I'm new to this, and I would rather not take up board space with useless information, I will post the contents of fstab, or any other file that may help deduce the problem, if asked (but I'm not going to use up space for that unless I need to.)

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I'm a newbie and had this problem and I can confirm that:-

    mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda1

    - I don't think you need to specify the mount point as long as it is given in fstab.

    Anyway, it works okay for me AND for the USB memory card device I have (which uses the scsi driver). The entries I have in fstab are:-

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

    Hope this is some help.

    Good luck, Stu.....

Similar Threads

  1. HOW-TO: get read/write access to HD?
    By kevingpo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
  2. Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode
    By Nick889 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 05:00 AM
  3. Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'
    By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
  4. Accessing NTFS in read-write mode on Knoppix 3.4
    By crveni in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 08:46 AM
  5. Mount NTFS in read/write-mode
    By walterma in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth picture

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth

$39.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$600.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW picture

Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW

$399.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99