Are you working on live-cd ?
KDE has always been slow.
However I now have a 2.5 gig chip, knoppix, and gigs of ram.
I finally decided to try kde out.
It took a very long time.......even long for the kde, especially on my hardware for many of the kde apps to come up.
Could this possibly be a knoppix thing?
I mean if KDE isn't snappy on a 2.5 gig chip something is wrong.
Just curious
Steve
Are you working on live-cd ?
Nope, I have knoppix installed to my hard drive.Originally Posted by ktheking
I have a 2.5 gig chip and gigs of RAM
You can always try a different window manager to see if it is KDE causing the problem.
If you want something lightweight give fluxbox a try. As long as the KDE libraries are installed you can run KDE apps using any window manager. If you decide you like fluxbox make sure to get fluxconf, fluxkeys, and fluxmenu. They make it a cinch to configure.
I don't think Knoppix sets DMA for the drives on by default, this might help (use something like: hdparm -d1 /dev/hdx ) - I agree tho' KDE is a bit slow.
Whilst I'm thinking about it, the 'find file' is REALLY slow on my machine, is this because I have a few partitions incl. FAT32 or is it just KDE.....
Stu.....
I've been using icewm for a year......and its fast.Originally Posted by DRJ
I just thought that I wold give KDE a look and was shocked how slow it is.
Steve
not my experience on my lowly spec. PII400/256MB and Celeron733/320MB. KDE runs fine and snappy on both systems. It is a bit slow to load up(from startx to seeing the desktop) but after that it seems to be faster in general than XP.

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive
$29.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99
Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99