-
KErnel Upgrade = missing devices?
Hey all.. spent most of the weekend trying to upgrade my 2.4.22-xfs kernel from a Knoppix 3.3 HD install to the latest and greatest 2.6.0-test9, just to test it out. It took some doing, lookign through the forums for ideas, but I finally did it. However, when booting with the new 2.6 kernel, i lose all my devices. No sound card, no video card, and no network card. Here's what I did, did I miss something?
Code:
1. d/l the kernel source (linux-2.6.0-test9.tar.gz)
2. Extracted it into my home dir.
3. Logged out and then logged in as root.
4. Copied src tree to /usr/src, i.e. (/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9)
5. Deleted old symlink to /usr/src/linux
6. Made new one ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9 /usr/src/linux
7. cd /usr/src/linux; cp ../linux-2.4.22-xfs/.config .config
8. make xconfig - I enabled kernel preemption, ALSA, a couple of other things that looked interesting,and pointed it to my specific CPU (An Athlon XP)
9. make dep (told me this step wasn't neccesry); make clean
10. make bzImage
11. make modules
12. make modules_install
13. mv /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.6.0-test9
14. mv /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.0-test9
15. ln -sf /boot/System.map-2.6.0-test9 /boot/System.map
16. add image to lilo.conf
19. Reboot
There were a couple of hitches. I had to comment out the 'initrd=' line in my lilo.conf for the 2.6.0 kernel, otherwise it would give me a kernel panic and stop booting, saying something about being unable to mount the files system on hda1. I also had to move the 'vga=' line to within the menu choice for the old 2.4.22-xfs kernel, so I could see the messages that 2.6.0 posted up when booting, and had to uncomment the 'prompt' line so I would get a chance to switch between them if somehting went wrong.
So anyway, allt hat is done and when I choose the 2.6.0 kernel, it boots up the system (without the initrd.gz), but then I can't use my USB mouse, no sound card, and no network. This, of course, isn't good. I tried going into /usr/src/linux and typing 'mkinitrd -o initrd2.6.gz', and it created a file which I then moved to /boot/ and pointed my lilo.conf to it, but I get the same kernel panic again when I try to boot up using it.
So, anyone got any ideas? Those of you who have succesfully upgraded to 2.6.0-test9, what am I missing or doing wrong? Did you have these problems when you upgraded too?
Similar Threads
-
By riscbroker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-25-2005, 08:49 PM
-
By Kowood in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-07-2005, 08:15 PM
-
By BillS in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-20-2004, 05:04 PM
-
By toltech in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-16-2004, 09:43 AM
-
By Hayabusa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$99.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.27

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$7.99

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick
$165.90

TESLA OEM Model S,3,X,Y USB Flash Drive for Dashcam 128GB READ DESCRIPTION BELOW
$22.00