Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: ACPI enabled non-SMP version of KNOPPIX 3.3 2003-11-14

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1
    I downloaded and made the knoppix cd as I have done before many times. And this release does boot. However there are no network drivers at all for my dell 5150. I have sound and video I have the nvidia card 5200. I am a newbie to this whole thing so please bear with me. I went and downloaded the drivers from broadcom's site and I have the package on the hard drive. I can run it but it asks me for the root password. I can go in and hit ctrl + alt + F2 and enter the passwd command and change the password, but I do not know how to get back to the previous screen. I would like also to know how to get the integrated wi-fi card that came with my laptop working as well. But I am trying to do things alittle at a time. I do now know the root password for knoppix. If anyone can provide me any sort of assistance and just point me in the right direction I would be really greatful. Just pointing me in the right direction would be very much appriciated. Thanks.

    Jordan

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjrmman
    I can run it but it asks me for the root password.
    If you have been typing something like "foo bar" before you should say "sudo foo bar" instead.
    (I don't have a Dell myself so I don't know the details)

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15
    What kernel did you use, and how (if you did) did you modifiy it?

    I have my remastering enviroment setup and have been messing around with it, but most of the tutorials are vague at best about recompiling the kernel.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by booty
    What kernel did you use, and how (if you did) did you modifiy it?

    I have my remastering enviroment setup and have been messing around with it, but most of the tutorials are vague at best about recompiling the kernel.
    Sorry for the delay, the kernel is compiled from the 2.4.22-xfs sources like the kernel in the official 2003-11-14 Knoppix, but I changed the configuration before compiling it so it does not contain any SMP code (which made it lock up on my machine) and APM has been replaced with ACPI. I'm not sure what is considered the "right" way to do it in a debian box but I just got the sources form kernel.org, the xfs patches from SGI and the cloop code, configured and compiled it, and copied the resulting stuff to the apropriate places before creating the compressed filesystem, the miniroot and the boot floppy image.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    Downloaded the modified version of Knoppix and it finally worked! I am interested to see if the changes that were made will be incoporated into the next version of Knoppix. I tried passing all of the different cheat codes that were suggested, but nothing worked. There are also a few distros based off of Knoppix that I would like to try, but so far I have run into the same problem.

    I know this thread is a bit old, but perhaps someone is watching still?

    Thanks for the input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. [ACPI] what acpi kernel support in Knoppix ?
    By Longfield in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 11:54 AM
  2. knoppix 3.3 (2003-09-22 version) does not support HT?
    By tianhm in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 06:18 AM
  3. New version 2003-09-05
    By jaws75 in forum News
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 03:23 AM
  4. Problems with new version of Knoppix (2003.07.26)
    By tomboc in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 03:59 AM
  5. Version 3.2-2003-04-15
    By Stephen in forum News
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 05:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$41.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU

$50.00



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ7LN250HMJP) dell Lenovo hp

$32.99



Western Digital 256GB NVMe 2280 80mm SSD SDAPNUW-256G-1006 L18845-002 SN520 picture

Western Digital 256GB NVMe 2280 80mm SSD SDAPNUW-256G-1006 L18845-002 SN520

$29.99