-
alsa problems
I did the hard drive install and got everything working except ALSA. That includes the Nvidia driver for my Geforce2 card, printing, ADSL connection, everything I tried. Boy was I impressed. Then I tried Ardour and quickly realized it wasn't going anywhere without ALSA. So I found the "/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig" command discussed here, tried it, and immediately lost X-windows. When it tried to get to KDM, it just flickered a few times and defaulted to the command line prompt. No message or hint as to what was wrong.
Well, I noticed that there was a new version of Knoppix out, with updates to ALSA. I also figured maybe I need to get ALSA working before I mess with the Nvidia drivers. So I started all over again. This time it didn't kill X, (I haven't tried the Nvidia driver yet), but it's still not working. When I try XMMS with the ALSA plugin selected, I get the standard "You've got the wrong plugin selected or Something's in the way of the soundcard or Soundcard is not properly configured" message.
My system:
Albatron KX400 with AMD XP 2100+ 512 DDR
Dual booting Windows XP and linux on one 40G Western Digital drive.
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card and onboard VIA sound system.
Nvidia Geforce2 AGP.
The onboard sound was enabled on install. I tried shutting it off afterward and it made no difference. I don't think Knoppix likes it. Seems like I saw an error message about it on install. Should I disable onboard sound and try the install again?
This isn't much to go on, I know, but I don't know enough to get meaningful error messages at this point. Any help would be appreciated.
--Chase
Similar Threads
-
By Dextro in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-29-2004, 07:49 PM
-
By ScreamingTemporalDoom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
-
By dzogchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 16
Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
-
By DimGR in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
-
By DimGR in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-01-2004, 04:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$84.00

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive
$51.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard
$169.99

Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket
$249.99