Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: about ntfs

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10

    about ntfs

    it's possible that I change the permission of a mount drive and I must write e file but not delete??? I create a file txt on a ntfs filesystem but after i can't delete it
    Tks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: about ntfs

    Quote Originally Posted by Pretone
    it's possible that I change the permission of a mount drive and I must write e file but not delete??? I create a file txt on a ntfs filesystem but after i can't delete it
    Tks
    You are playing with fire if you mean creating files under linux. The linux NTFS driver is not safe for creating file of any kind on a NTFS partition. I would advice you don't do that in the future or your whole NTFS partition can be trashed.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Tustin, California, US
    Posts
    5
    I've written to NTFS successfully in Linux from a Knoppix CD. I've only written small files, like a network card driver and NTLDR from a server onto a non-bootable workstation.

    Does anyone have actual horror stories about damaging an NTFS partition, and what did they do at the time? We all caution newbies (and veterans) about writing to NTFS, but is there any real experience with this?

    Stephen

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by sjborch
    I've written to NTFS successfully in Linux from a Knoppix CD. I've only written small files, like a network card driver and NTLDR from a server onto a non-bootable workstation.

    Does anyone have actual horror stories about damaging an NTFS partition, and what did they do at the time? We all caution newbies (and veterans) about writing to NTFS, but is there any real experience with this?
    Depends on what NTFS driver you use. The old can trash NTFS. The rewritten one can't however it's very limited in functionality.See yourself the NTFS driver status page.

    My some month old Knoppix has the obsolete NTFS driver, I don't know if it was upgraded since then but would be very nice

Similar Threads

  1. ntfs.sys file: Writing on ntfs partition version 3.8.1
    By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
  2. unable to write to NTFS with captive-ntfs
    By harry66 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
  3. Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive
    By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
  4. NTFS: Will 3.4/2.6 write to NTFS reliably and safely?
    By David Ormsby-Gore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 09:45 AM
  5. captive ntfs - mount ntfs (reade/write) through icon
    By terminator in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box picture

Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box

$1500.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone picture

LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone

$699.99



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



YEALINK  W60B DECT VoIP BASE STATION VOIP SIP FOR UP TO 8 HANDSETS + OEM ADPTR picture

YEALINK W60B DECT VoIP BASE STATION VOIP SIP FOR UP TO 8 HANDSETS + OEM ADPTR

$50.00