-
Xfce4, kdm, beginner stuck...
Hi all,
I've a hdd install of knoppix that I'm very happy with. However I've just installed xfce4 and am having difficulty in running it via kdm.
I think my xfce4 install is fine as the Xnest script on http://www.xfce.org/en/documentation.html works fine. I can using the Kcontrol centre add Xfce4 as an option to the window manager selector; selecting it starts up my default wm.
Looking around in my /etc/X11/Xsession.d doesn't help me much as I can't see where the wm selection is done. A previous post suggested editing a /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file. I don't have one.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jim
-
I've found a way to get Xfce4 to start from KDM. It's not elegant but it works.
Step 1. (This was posted by [email protected] on comp.os.linux.setup)
create a shell script in /usr/bin called xfwm4.0 which contains the following lines.
#!/bin/bash
xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xfaskbar4 &
xfdesktop &
exec xfce4-panel
Then edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, changing the reference to "xfwm4" to
point to the new script, in this case "xfwm4.0"
You should now be able to run Xfce4 from kdm. However, if you run apt-get upgrade, the reference to xfwm4.0 will be removed whenever kdm is updated.
To keep xfce4 on your list of window managers, you will need to edit the following file.
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/x-window-manager
you will see a reference to /usr/bin/xfwm4 . Just change the line to refer to xfwm4.0 and things should be fine.
Similar Threads
-
By Crusader in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-16-2005, 10:50 PM
-
By shah in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-21-2004, 03:35 AM
-
By mzilikazi in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-22-2004, 06:28 PM
-
By champagnemojo in forum The Lounge
Replies: 18
Last Post: 09-01-2004, 10:32 PM
-
By sb73542 in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$600.00

Cisco CP-8851-3PCC-K9= IP Phone 8851 with Multiplatform Firmware - Charcoal
$60.00

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99

Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW
$399.99

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth
$49.95

Yealink SIP-T54W Verizon VoIP IP Phone 16-Line PoE Speakerphone Black
$34.50