Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: linux.bin - v.3.3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2

    linux.bin - v.3.3

    I installed v3.3 from a purchased CD to a dual boot with winXP.

    When I use the CD to access Knoppix, on the Knoppix desktop, the boot partition is labeled hda3, the linux system partition is hda7.

    During the installation to my HD the creation of a boot floppy failed.

    In a subsequent attempt to get linux.bin from the CD to a formatted floppy I tried this command string:
    dd if=/dev/hda3 of=mnt/floppy/linux.bin bs=512 count=1

    The attempt failed. A find file search shows that /dev/hda3 is listed as "inaccessible". As a result I have no linux.bin that I can install in "C" and therefore any attempt to alter the boot.ini with the line C:\linux.bin="linux" fails.

    Can someone suggest a way to get access to the linux partition on my HD? I know very little about linux and linux commands so it would help if a very simple step-by-step process is posted. TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    boot your cd with: #Note: command line commands are bold and edits are italic
    knoppix 2 #which will get you running as root in text mode
    then mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
    and then mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7
    then just in case the partitions are mounted read-only
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda3
    and mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda7
    then cd /mnt/hda7
    then chroot /mnt/hda7
    now using an editor (ie,: nano or another editor) look at and if necessary edit your /etc/lilo.conf file and make sure your:
    boot entry is: boot=/dev/hda3
    and root is: root=/dev/hda7
    then (assuming the rest of lilo.conf is OK) re-run lilo:
    /sbin/lilo -v
    and note any errors, if you don't have any errors then use dd to copy the bootrecord to floppy (necessary if you are using ntfs on your xp install):
    dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/fd0/linux.bin count=1 bs=512
    then follow (garyng's) directions to put linux.bin where it's needed on your xp system and edit your boot.ini (or whaterver it's called ... to chain boot the knoppix bootrecord)

    Sorry I can't help you any more regarding xp, I've really never used it.

    HTH

    ~rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for your help.
    I believe I got everything correct up through the "chroot /mnt/hda7" line.
    When I pressed enter, after that entry, I got a line that read,
    sh-2.05b#
    I don't know what that means but I exited the root window at that point.

    [BTW, what is a command that would get me to the default CD desktop at that point.]

    Your next suggestion was to then go to a file editor to view /etc/lilo.conf
    I keep getting an access denied message, and/or permission denied, with a find file search in the default GUI and with a root command line search.

    Clicking on the file +lost&found I get refused access.

    I copied hda3 from the desktop to a floppy. Reading the contents while in Windows this is what I see,

    [Desktop Entry]
    Actions=Remount
    Type=FSDevice
    Dev=/dev/hda3
    MountPoint=/mnt/hda3
    FSType=auto
    ReadOnly=1
    Icon=hdd_mount
    UnmountIcon=hdd_unmount
    Name=Hard Disk Partition [hda3]
    Name[es]=Partición del disco duro [hda3]

    [Desktop Action Remount]
    Icon=hdd_mount
    Exec=remountrw /dev/hda3;true
    Name=Change read/write mode
    Name[de]=Lese-/Schreibmodus ändern
    Name[es]=Cambiar modo lectura/escritura

    That is the same list that i got yesterday before going through the commands you recommended.

    Yes, I am using NTFS.
    I setup so that lilo is supposed to be on a separate 50MB linux partition, before Windows XP, knoppix is supposed to be on a 3GB partition after 3 separate Windows NTFS partitions, the linux swap-file is supposed to be on a .27GB partition at the end of the list.

    Further assitance would be helpful, TIA




    Rockmumbles wrote:
    boot your cd with: #Note: command line commands are bold and edits are italic
    knoppix 2 #which will get you running as root in text mode
    then mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
    and then mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7
    then just in case the partitions are mounted read-only mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda3
    and mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda7
    then cd /mnt/hda7
    then chroot /mnt/hda7
    now using an editor (ie,: nano or another editor) look at and if necessary edit your /etc/lilo.conf file and make sure your:
    boot entry is: boot=/dev/hda3
    and root is: root=/dev/hda7
    then (assuming the rest of lilo.conf is OK) re-run lilo:
    /sbin/lilo -v
    and note any errors, if you don't have any errors then use dd to copy the bootrecord to floppy (necessary if you are using ntfs on your xp install):
    dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/fd0/linux.bin count=1 bs=512
    then follow (garyng's) directions to put linux.bin where it's needed on your xp system and edit your boot.ini (or whaterver it's called ... to chain boot the knoppix bootrecord)

Similar Threads

  1. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  2. Printing: XP to Linux or Linux to XP
    By mpeden in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:09 AM
  3. New to Linux and need to know how to become disturbum linux
    By ziggyrafiq in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 10:40 PM
  4. Dizinha Linux, New project for "Small" Linux
    By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
  5. Microsoft-Linux!(MS-Linux)
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Intel Core i5-10505 CPU Processor 3.20GHz FCLGA1200 SRH38 Tested Working picture

Intel Core i5-10505 CPU Processor 3.20GHz FCLGA1200 SRH38 Tested Working

$89.99