Bad:
image=/mnt/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
Good:
image=/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
Get rid of all those entries that start w/ /mnt.
Hi all,
this is surely a LILO problem, but I cannot figure out myself, what the
heck I am doing wrong.
I have installed the CD to /dev/hda10, a reasonably big partition.
Now there are several smaller partitions like>
/ ==> /dev/hda5
/usr ==> /dev/hda6
/var ==> /dev/hda8
/home ==> /dev/hda9 ...
which I want to use.
I have copied the files with cp -ax to their respective target partitions
and I think this should be allright.
Running lilo doesnt show any mistakes to me, so I am really struggling
why it always boots with /dev/hda10 as root device,despite the lilo.conf.hda5 that I have edited:
Important parts of lilo.conf.hda5:
---snip---
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda5
install=/mnt/hda5/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/mnt/hda5/boot/map
default=Linux-hda5
image=/mnt/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Linux-hda5
initrd=/mnt/hda5/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
root=/dev/hda5
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
root=/dev/hda10
---snap---
lilo -C /mnt/hda5/etc/lilo.conf.hda5
produces the following output:
---snip---
...
Added Linux-hda5 *
<dev=0xe0,hd=20,cyl=66,sct=197>
"ro root=305 hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
...
Added Linux
Device 0x030a: BIOS drive 0x80, 255 heads, 4864 cylinders,
63 sectors. Partition offset: 55135143 sectors.
---snap---
After reboot, it will always boot into /dev/hda10.
What is wrong?
Tnx Thomas
Bad:
image=/mnt/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
Good:
image=/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
Get rid of all those entries that start w/ /mnt.
But /hda5 does not exist.Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
If I specify an image, ..., it should exist when lilo runs.
This does not make sense to me.
I get the impression it is the initrd which is voiding my attempts
to use a different root partition.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3053#14435
So I would need to change that in linuxrc.in the linuxrc script in the initrd image mount /dev/hda6 is HARDCODED
Any ideas how to do that?
Thomas
the image and initrd references should be relative to your root definition so:image=/mnt/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
initrd=/mnt/hda5/boot/initrd.gz
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
and
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
should work,
if not you should use the devices not the mount points like this:
image=/dev/hda5/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
and
initrd=/dev/hda5/boot/initrd.gz
~rock

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM
$10.99
P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N
$1100.00
2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99
Mix Lot of 7 sticks 8GB 1Rx8 PC4 - 3200AA/1Rx8 - PC4 2400T - 6 Samsung/1 SKhynix
$300.00
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory
$2150.00
Samsung M393A2G40DB0-CPB 16GB PC4-2133P DDR4-17000 ECC Server Memory
$68.50
2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17
$3.35
2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99