Details on replacing the sourceforge driver for the Atmel chip with the berlios driver from http://at76c503a.berlios.de/ for KNOPPX V3.3 2003-11-14:

Under W2K I got the driver and saved it on a my C: FAT filesystem. I got the Version 0.11 beta 6 from the CVS.

Unplugged the Atmel device and bootet Knoppix from CD.

Mounted /dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1 read/write.

cd to the driver archive, then:
Code:
# unpack archive V 0.11 beta 6
tar xzvf at76c503a.tar.gz

# cd into dir with Makefiile
cd at76c503a/at76c503a

# alternatively with V 0.10:
#tar xzvf at76c503-0.10.tar.gz
#cd at76c503a-0.10

# compile source
make

# become superuser
su

# copy /lib from readonly CD to read/write memory
cp -r /KNOPPIX/lib /ramdisk/libmem

# relink /lib to the copy
ln -s -fn /ramdisk/libmem /lib

# look for old drivers
locate atmel

# old drivers are listed in the *.list file
cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/atmeldriver.list
grep '\.o' /var/lib/dpkg/info/atmeldriver.list

# remove old drivers
rm `grep '\.o' /var/lib/dpkg/info/atmeldriver.list`

# finally: install the new drivers
make install
Now I plugged in the Atmel device: yes, Knoppix remains alive, 'lsusb' shows the new driver installed, with 'iwconfig wlan0' I can configure it.

Configure details will follow.

Thanks to the driver authors, well done!

Georg