Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't get 3C905-T4 to work

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fishkill, NY USA
    Posts
    7

    Can't get 3C905-T4 to work

    Hello,

    I am running 1/1/2003 level of Knoppix from CD. During startup Knoppix says he finds the NIC. The lights on the back of the NIC do not come on and I have no network access.

    The module that supports the NIC is 3C59X. I have tried all the commands in the module and also tried adjusting them, none worked. All attmpts had these messages. Please see the first few lines below of attempts to compile it:

    knoppix@ttyp2[src]$ gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -O6 -c 3c59x.c -o 3c59x.o
    3c59x.c:106:31: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
    3c59x.c:133:22: pci-scan.h: No such file or directory
    3c59x.c:134:25: kern_compat.h: No such file or directory

    The complete listing is available if someone needs it.

    There are several pages of errors.

    From scanning Google I find that there are files that should be available. To install them it looks like you need to add them and rebuild the kernel.

    Data from one entry:

    It seems that the drivers to this site all use this new pci-scan.c
    source. You can get the *.h files from:

    ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/.

    I guess that you can simply put them into the net directory and remake
    the kernel image. I have always compiles the net drivers as modules so
    I just used the supplied makefile that comes with all of this.

    --- Tres Hofmeister <[email protected]> wrote:
    > After dropping the 0.99Q version of 3c59x.c into drivers/net in
    > a 2.2.15 tree on a Debian 2.1 box, the kernel fails to build. Some
    > include files seem to be missing:
    >
    > 3c59x.c:110: pci-scan.h: No such file or directory
    > 3c59x.c:111: kern_compat.h: No such file or directory
    >

    Are these fixes in the level of Knoppix I am running? It doesn't appear to me that they are. What to do to get my NIC to function?

    Thanks for any assistance anyone can give me.
    Charlie Patterson

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fishkill, NY USA
    Posts
    7

    Can't get 3C905-T4 to work

    Hello,

    I was able to use 'modprobe' to find the '.o' file. Please disregard my previous entry. Now I am trying to get the route table setup correctly. I would appreciate any assistance you could give in regards to that.

    I am using 'Persistent Home' package. How do you save the 'Interfaces' file? And have access to it?

    Thanks,
    Charlie Patterson

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    I don't know much about routes,
    but this is all I've needed

    route add default gw 192.168.1.1

    thats if you're on a 192.167.1.x network, and you're route is 192.168.1.1

    also, that assumes you have your interfaces set up.
    (e.g. ifconfig should show your ethernet card with an ip address)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fishkill, NY USA
    Posts
    7

    Can't get 3C905-T4 to work

    Hello,

    I tried Knoppix on another computer with a different type of NIC card and it worked great through the router and on to the cable modem.

    I am sure this problem is caused by the fact that I have my 3C90T4 NIC is connected to a 'none T4' type router (SMC7004ABR). This forces a 10 mbs connection on my windows system rather than 100 mbs.

    I believe that changes in the driver would be required to handle this situation.

    Thanks for your assistance and the great support I have received here and on the IRC #knoppix channel.

    Charlie Patterson

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 12:32 AM
  2. Soundcard Yamaha don't work under K3.3, work under K3.2
    By Mokoshi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
  3. HELP! 3com 3c905 NIC not supported
    By Mottek in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 09:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99