-
Senior Member
registered user
You could add knoppix desktop=wmaker noeject (so the cd won't eject) to your boot cheatcodes, then set up windowmaker to launch a full screen mozilla kiosk at startup (as per my Kiosk page). If you can save the configuration, then maybe you can boot into a kiosk.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can set up the mozilla kiosk in kde and then tweak it and run it from windomaker. With a knoppix persistent home, the setup will stick.
At boot, I use: knoppix desktop=wmaker screen=800x600 home=scan noeject
These cheatcodes can be put in a custon boot floppy or cd. Note that if you use this trick, the word knoppix must be added at the start of the append, as in knoppix desktop=wmaker rather than just desktop=wmaker. Otherwise, it will just boot into kde.
Then, at startup, windomaker auto loads the full screen mozilla kiosk I have set up.
From a terminal in windomaker, you can run saveconfig; but it didn't seem to make any difference, so I don't use it.
-
I have it now that the PC boots into the OS and launches the browser in kiosk mode (full screen), but what I also need to do is have the CTRL-ALT-DELETE keys disabled in some way. Also if the PC does shut down or reboot, I need the CD to not eject but stay in the drive, so that on a reboot the PC will boot back into the OS and into the browser in kiosk mode.
Thanks for everyone help so far!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Use the knoppix cheatcode: noeject
to prevent the cd from ejecting.
We have no keyboard connected so the user can't get out of the kiosk. Can you do that? I don't know how to disable individual keys.
-
Yes, this is a Jobs kiosk, so there is a keyboard attached so that users can enter their information. I hate to be dumb again, but where do I put the "noeject" line of code. I really want to thank you for all your help!
-
Senior Member
registered user
A google search yeilded this javascript for disabling the control key and right click. If it works, you won't be able to get out of the kiosk:
http://www.weberdev.com/phorum/read.php?f=7&i=42&t=42
Another thought: you could get a cheap keyboard and mechanically disable the control key somehow.
The knoppix cheat codes are typed in at the knoppix boot prompt as in:
boot: knoppix desktop=wmaker noeject
You can build them into a custom boot floppy or knoppix cd as described on our Knoppix Tricks page: http://www.cclug.org/wiki/Main/KnoppixTricks
You are welcome to the help. Your project got me setting up a knoppix kiosk which I had not tried before; and now I can show it to our club.
Similar Threads
-
By harken in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 41
Last Post: 02-22-2005, 11:20 PM
-
By The Conman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 13
Last Post: 01-25-2005, 07:30 PM
-
By Grave in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-17-2004, 01:27 AM
-
By crusty in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-05-2004, 03:30 AM
-
By blackout in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 08:07 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00

ASRock b560 ATX Motherboard + Intel Core i5-11600K CPU Combo Gaming + 32 GB DDR4
$300.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor
$39.99

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0
$38.00