Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: kernel updating, is there something I'm missing?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    41

    kernel updating, is there something I'm missing?

    I tried updating my kernel to 2.6 test 9 one knoppix 3.3 (11-03-2003) using the following steps

    downloaded the 2.6 test 9 kernel from kernel.org

    extracted it in /usr/src to it's own directory

    created a simlink from /usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9
    (baked up the existing simlink pointing to linux-2.4.2 to linux.bak)

    successfully ran make xconfig in /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9, and configed the options I wanted, saving the changes

    compiled the kernel by issuing the following command in /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9
    make-kpkg --revision=786:MyKernel2.6.0test9 kernel_image

    this did make a file in /usr/src called kernel-image-2.6.0-test9_MyKernel2.6.0test9_i386.deb

    I ran a dpkg -i on this file which seemed to work sucessfully as I got no errors and I did choose to add the boot block to my existing /etc/lilo conf.

    I rebooted only to find the old kernel was still being used (as uname-r returned 2.4.22-xfs)

    I decided to take a look at /etc/lilo.conf

    as I had suspected it looked like this

    default=Linux

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
    label=Linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    read-only

    I checked /boot to make sure there was a vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9 and sure enough there was.

    so I edited /etc/lilo.conf to read as follows:

    default=Linux

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9
    label=Linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    read-onl

    rebooted my computer and both /var/log/dmesg and uname -r still say I'm using the 2.4.22-xfs kernel.

    Is there something glaringly obvious that I'm missing here that I should have done?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi Hayabusa,

    ...
    so I edited /etc/lilo.conf to read as follows:

    default=Linux

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9
    label=Linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    read-onl

    rebooted my computer and both /var/log/dmesg and uname -r still say I'm using the 2.4.22-xfs kernel.

    Is there something glaringly obvious that I'm missing here that I should have done?
    Did you run /sbin/lilo after you edited lilo.conf?

    Ciao Martin

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    41
    worked like a charm. Now I can switch back and forth between kernels at my discretion, thanks.

    now if i could get my scroll button on my mouse working and vmware working under the new kernel I'd stick with it

Similar Threads

  1. Kernel missing from HD install?
    By riscbroker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 08:49 PM
  2. Updating kernel
    By Killerah in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 06:00 PM
  3. Questions about updating kernel from 2.4 to 2.6
    By Trace Green in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 03:19 AM
  4. 3.7 2.4.27 kernel regeneration fails -- what am I missing
    By BillS in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 05:04 PM
  5. KErnel Upgrade = missing devices?
    By katsushiro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 05:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$30.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00