Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: booting live-cd on Dell 300m laptop

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51

    booting live-cd on Dell 300m laptop

    So I says to me boss, "Ya know it'd sure be nice if you could get me a new laptop." He said, "Sure thing, take your pick."

    Mindful of our budget though, I chose a Dell 300m (with media bay DVD+RW). I am now typing this post using it...

    I also just downloaded and burned to disc the recent Knoppix release. I also have with me the release before that. Both work fine as I have used it for my desktop at home. I can't get the live CD to boot off this laptop though.

    It gets to a point where the penguin sits at at the top and searches for the boot image... ends up telling me to make sure I have it on the CD....

    Is there a way I can get the Knoppix to boot?

    Thanks in advance,

    - Bryan

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    You most likely need to experiment with various cheat codes.

    The first one I would start off with is testcd. This will tell you if your cd is corrupted.

    If your cd appears to be ok, then try booting with the failsafe option. This gives you very little hardware support. But if it works, then you know that you simply need to go back and try out the other "no" cheat codes to see what the offending hardware issue is.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Thanks for the respons Aay...

    The CDs are fine (I have three) and I've tried toram and ide2=0x180 nopcmcia and still no go... here is what it says:
    Welcome to the Knoppix live Linux on CD!

    Can't find Knoppix file system, sorry. Dropping you to a very limited shell.
    I suspect it has something to do with Dell's BIOS (I think I've read something related to it but I can;t remember where).

    I wonder if there is a specific boot option to get around the problem.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    *bump*

    Anyone?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    Any luck on this. I have the same notebook and the same problem. I have found that RedHat 9 goes on well though. I think its because the CD-Rom is in the media bay which is connected by USB. Just some more info to try and get this issue resolved, i would like to be able to use Knoppix on it soon.

    Good Luck

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Yup, sorta figured that out too... the DVD drive on the media bay is treated as a USB CD-ROM / DVD Drive... it's just that I've been dumped with a truckload of projects that may take me a few more months to complete... I hope I can retry some time soon.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    Post back with any new info...if you figure something out

Similar Threads

  1. Linuxant DriverLoader for Wi-Fi on Dell Laptop
    By bigrobot in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 03:26 AM
  2. Knoppix annoyance on Dell Laptop
    By katana5 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 04:25 PM
  3. Dell Laptop no boot to Knoppix
    By embsupafly in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 12:21 AM
  4. CD BOOT on a Dell 8500 Laptop.
    By robmc5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 06:06 PM
  5. Pen Drive and a Dell 300m
    By Shmude in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 07:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB,  (4) HDD,  EXCELLENT COND. picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB, (4) HDD, EXCELLENT COND.

$625.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50