-
Junior Member
registered user
Persistent Home and HD access
Since I started using persistent home, user Knoppix no longer has write/enter acess to the FAT32 hard disk. In the Konquerer file manager, Knoppix only sees a locked tmp directory on the HD. In the console, Knoppix can get ls to list top level directories on the HD, and a "permission denied" error for every file in the FAT root directory.
Root has full access to the HD. Permissions are drwxr--r-- . Attempts to modify permissions with chmod produce a "permission denied" error or are silently ignored.
I'm stymied and looking for suggestions. I'm a total newbie to Linux with only a little Unix experience several years ago, so I might be overlooking something that's very obvious to others.
Thanks for any help!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Persistent Home and HD access
1. First, umount the FAT32 partition.
2. ' chmod ' the mount point to whatever you want
3. Edit ' /etc/fstab ' and make sure you have 'users,rw' in the Options field for that partition/mount point
4. then, ' mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ' (subst actual values.)
--Post results, either way....

Originally Posted by
Knewbie
Since I started using persistent home, user Knoppix no longer has write/enter acess to the FAT32 hard disk. In the Konquerer file manager, Knoppix only sees a locked tmp directory on the HD. In the console, Knoppix can get ls to list top level directories on the HD, and a "permission denied" error for every file in the FAT root directory.
Root has full access to the HD. Permissions are drwxr--r-- . Attempts to modify permissions with chmod produce a "permission denied" error or are silently ignored.
I'm stymied and looking for suggestions. I'm a total newbie to Linux with only a little Unix experience several years ago, so I might be overlooking something that's very obvious to others.
Thanks for any help!
-
Junior Member
registered user
Persistent Home and HD access
Thanks, Dave! I think I followed your instructions to the letter. Unfortunately....
1. First, umount the FAT32 partition.
The difficulty appears to be in the very first step. With persistent home active, the device is busy. A lazy umount seemed to work, and I was able to complete the other steps. 'chmod' and 'mount' both reported success. But after it was all done, the permissions for hda1 had not changed and user Knoppix still could not access the HD.
I suspect (in my vast ignorance) a solution is going to depend on modifying the persistent home script (knoppix.sh) or creating a preknoppix.sh script. Figuring out where to go next is way beyond me!
-
Hi Knewbie!
You are right - you have to modify the KPH knoppix.sh a bit. Sorry for that; the update is on the way. Till then you can fix it yourself for the 0.4 version:
Open the knoppix.sh file from KHP and change line #112
from: "mount $p $d 2>&1 > /dev/null"
to: "mount $d 2>&1 > /dev/null"
In other words: simply drop the $p.
I hope this works for you!
Matthias
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Persistent Home and HD access
>> 1. First, umount the FAT32 partition.
>>2. ' chmod ' the mount point to whatever you want
>>3. Edit ' /etc/fstab ' and make sure you have 'users,rw' in the Options field for that partition/mount point
>>4. then, ' mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ' (subst actual values.)
--Ok, try this:
After umounting, ' chown knoppix /mnt/hda1 ' and ' chmod a+rx /mnt/hda1 '; follow steps 3 and 4 again. That should at least enable READ access for the knoppix user.
--Post results again....

Originally Posted by
Knewbie
Thanks, Dave! I think I followed your instructions to the letter. Unfortunately....
1. First, umount the FAT32 partition.
The difficulty appears to be in the very first step. With persistent home active, the device is busy. A lazy umount seemed to work, and I was able to complete the other steps. 'chmod' and 'mount' both reported success. But after it was all done, the permissions for hda1 had not changed and user Knoppix still could not access the HD.
I suspect (in my vast ignorance) a solution is going to depend on modifying the persistent home script (knoppix.sh) or creating a preknoppix.sh script. Figuring out where to go next is way beyond me!
-
Junior Member
registered user
HD access with Persistent Home
--Ok, try this:
After umounting, ' chown knoppix /mnt/hda1 ' and ' chmod a+rx /mnt/hda1 '; follow steps 3 and 4 again. That should at least enable READ access for the knoppix user.
Thanks again, Dave, but still no joy. User Knoppix still sees no change in permissions.
I'll be trying the script change suggested by Matthias now, but I wanted to test your suggestion first. Your advice is appreciated!
-
Junior Member
registered user
HD access with Persistent Home...Yes!
You are right - you have to modify the KPH knoppix.sh a bit. Sorry for that; the update is on the way. Till then you can fix it yourself for the 0.4 version:
Open the knoppix.sh file from KHP and change line #112
from: "mount $p $d 2>&1 > /dev/null"
to: "mount $d 2>&1 > /dev/null"
That's it! Thank you, Matthias! HD access works fine now.
I'm looking forward to the next update, of course!
I'm thinking of copying the Knoppix directory to the HD, in order to run from the HD without a full installation. Do you know if Persistent Home will work if Knoppix is located on the HD?
Thanks again!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: HD access with Persistent Home...Yes!
Open the knoppix.sh file from KHP and change line #112
from: "mount $p $d 2>&1 > /dev/null"
to: "mount $d 2>&1 > /dev/null"
Perfect timing, I was just about to reburn my ISO with the ph scripts included. You saved me from making a coaster.
Is that the only update or are there some more enhancements I should wait for?
Thanx,
-
Re: HD access with Persistent Home...Yes!

Originally Posted by
audioaficionado
Is that the only update or are there some more enhancements I should wait for?
There a two fixes for v0.4. The first is described above and fixes issues with fat32 partitions.
The second fixes the problem, that you cannot have your .knoppix file on the same partition as /knoppix/KNOPPIX (i call this a poor man's hd install
)
To apply the fix you change the knoppix.sh like this:
Replace the following text in line #148:
"for dir in /mnt/*; do"
with
"for dir in /cdrom /mnt/*; do"
(add /cdrom)
With these fixes you are fully up-to-date. I planned the release of the following version for the next days, but i've delayed it to investigate a possible integration of KPH with Andre Holzhey's interesting project "plugscript". I expect this to take a few days.
Matthias
-
Senior Member
registered user
I did the edit in w2k using GVIM (vim for windoze). http://www.vim.org
I love this editor. It makes notepad.exe suck bad.
It's even lots better than Note Tab IMHO because it shows the line and charictor position. Sure beats counting while repeatedly hitting the down arrow key.
Anyway post us on any more changes and merges of your kool script.
Thanx again,
Similar Threads
-
By j.drake in forum General Support
Replies: 43
Last Post: 05-15-2005, 01:09 AM
-
By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-15-2004, 03:17 PM
-
By EmoRock in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-22-2003, 06:13 AM
-
By xeerex in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-14-2003, 08:19 PM
-
By Civil Eng in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray
$356.80

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$220.36

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99