Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: no sound :(

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    no sound :(

    I burned the latest knoppix (3 nov) and booted from cd; everything works fine except there's no sound
    I'm a newbie (or at least beginner) so I don't really know what to do; I tried the kde control center but it doesn't see my sound card, and I can't find any way to add it
    I did lspci -v as instructed, and the relevant part is:
    00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Platform Technologies, Inc. AGOGO sound chip (aka ESS Maestro 1) (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Platform Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device ffff
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 80, IRQ 9
    I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
    please help me out, and if you need me to give more information, just shout

    thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    more info

    here's some more information:
    from lsmod:
    maestro 28680 0
    soundcore 3428 2 [maestro]
    from dmesg:
    PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0b.0
    maestro: Configuring ESS Maestro found at IO 0xE800 IRQ 9
    maestro: subvendor id: 0xffff1285
    maestro: not attempting power management.
    maestro: my goodness! you seem to have a pt101 codec, which is quite rare.
    you should tell someone about this.
    maestro: 1 channels configured.
    maestro: version 0.15 time 20:49:27 Oct 3 2003
    from xmms:
    ** WARNING **: alsa_setup_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: No such file or directory
    after play:
    ** WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device (default): No such file or directory

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I'm a newbie and pretty puzzled about quite a few things in Linux, but I know there is an install utility to help autodetect your soundcard and settings (if it is supported) called 'sndconfig' - type it at the root prompt.

    Maybe that will help.

    Stu.....

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by stukennedyuk
    there is an install utility to help autodetect your soundcard and settings (if it is supported) called 'sndconfig' - type it at the root prompt.
    I had tried it, and it said it found a display setting and I shouldn't run sndconfig from X; I'll try again later in a text console (I'm in windoze now)

    thanks
    Adrian

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5
    I've been quite busy, but now I got some time and I tried sndconfig again
    here's what happened:
    - it said it would probe some stuff, then it found a PCI sound card - AGOGO sound chip (aka ESS Maestro 1)
    - then it said it would back up /etc/modules.conf and create a new file
    - some messages appeared at the bottom of the screen:
    depmod: can't open /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep for
    ing
    cp: cannot remove `/lib/modules/modprobe.conf.old': read-only file system
    (yes, there was an "ing" on a line by itself, with no verb)
    - sndconfig said everything was ok, and tried to play a sound sample, but I didn't hear anything, then it switched to manual configuration
    - I selected the sound card (ESS Maestro), then it gave me an error: "there are already some sound config options in /etc/modules.conf - this could give unexpected results, please remove the appropriate entries from /etc/modutils/*"
    and then I was back to the command prompt

    I checked and /lib is a link to /KNOPPIX/lib, and /KNOPPIX appears to be mounted read-only
    I also took a look at modules.conf and the modutils directory, but I had no idea what to do

    so.. now what?

    Adrian

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    10
    Hi Adrian,

    Quote Originally Posted by aditsu
    I checked and /lib is a link to /KNOPPIX/lib, and /KNOPPIX appears to be mounted read-only
    I also took a look at modules.conf and the modutils directory, but I had no idea what to do

    so.. now what?
    For a temporary test you can make /lib writable:

    Code:
    # become superuser
    su
    
    # copy /lib from readonly CD to read/write memory
    cp -r /KNOPPIX/lib /ramdisk/libmem
    
    # relink /lib to the copy
    ln -s -fn /ramdisk/libmem /lib

    This way you can check if 'sndconfig' can make your soundcard working.

    regards

    Georg

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi Adrian,

    maybe the new version (2003-11-14) helps because it has a working ALSA again that was broken in your version. Try it with
    knoppix alsa
    at the bootprompt.

    Ciao Martin

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by horo
    maybe the new version (2003-11-14) helps because it has a working ALSA again that was broken in your version. Try it with
    knoppix alsa
    at the bootprompt.
    what? another download and another cd? hmm
    so ALSA was broken in this version ?!! what about OSS?
    and why is it necessary to boot with "knoppix alsa"?

    thanks
    Adrian

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi Adrian,

    OSS is used as default. If you want ALSA boot with "knoppix alsa" .

    Ciao Martin

Similar Threads

  1. ASUS integrated sound chip recognized but no sound
    By saxguy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
  2. sound issues with onboard sound chip
    By frank34 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. SOund card fun:Sound Blaster Audigy OEM also Radeon 9600Pro
    By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
  5. Maxi Sound Muse half channels sound
    By dobell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5" SATA SSD MZ-7KE512 MZ7KE512

$65.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00