Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: ftp: accessing hda2 issues. can only see ramdrive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    ftp: accessing hda2 issues. can only see ramdrive

    I am able to connect to the FTP server, but can only see ramdrive. I want to see hda2 (type NTFS) to download files. on the desktop, I see the green arrow so that I know that hda2 is mounted.

    I think what I need to do is make a symbolic link, but I'm not sure.

    I tried ln -n /dev/hda2 /olddrive and I got an error. I also tried ln -n /mnt/hda2 /olddrive and got another error.

    Both of these commads were issued in /ramdisk/home/knoppix/

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    It's a little hard to help you if you don't actually tell us what the errors you got were.

    However, just having a guess, your suggestion about symbolic links sounds correct, but you are not actually creating symbolic links. ln creates hard links by default. Use the -s option of ln to create symbolic links.

    Also, are you absolutely intent on using FTP? Setting up Samba to share your drives with another Windows machine is trivial if you use the KNOPPIX/services/Start Samba Server menu option.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3
    I got samba working. However, I first battled with FTP yesterday before switching to samba to do the time sensive rescue operation. Today, I am going back and trying to see why the FTP thing didn't work out. I just wanted to know.

    The -s worked. thanks. I read man ln, but I guess I misunderstood it.

    thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Why not just use ssh or fish?

    Regards,

Similar Threads

  1. Can-t write nothing on mnt/hda2
    By camicio in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 08:09 AM
  2. Win XP Machine- Trying to Access /mnt/hda2/Program Files
    By jtaugher in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 04:55 PM
  3. Accessing the C: drive
    By KillYourRadio in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 03:48 AM
  4. accessing harddrives
    By chief in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 08:48 PM
  5. cannot mount hda2 ?
    By ghostqi in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 01:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC

$115.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00