Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Does Knoppix 3.3 have the Korn Shell

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2

    Does Knoppix 3.3 have the Korn Shell

    My wife has started a Tafe Course and she needs a stand alone knoppix cd that has the Korn shell in it. Could someone please tell me which version i need to download for her.

    Thanks alot for your help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: Does Knoppix 3.3 have the Korn Shell

    Quote Originally Posted by HoofClicker
    My wife has started a Tafe Course and she needs a stand alone knoppix cd that has the Korn shell in it. Could someone please tell me which version i need to download for her.

    Thanks alot for your help
    I believe bash is a superset of Korn. Beside, if there is any feature in Korn that is not in bash, one better not use it as Korn shell is only available in Unix. just in case you must have a Korn :

    apt-get install pdksh

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    6
    I use the korn shell for most of my unix scripting and have found zsh to be a good alternative in GNU/Linux. Debian includes zsh, so just apt-get install zsh.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2
    Thank you both for the information and help, I have tried the commands apt-get install pdksh and
    apt-get install zsh
    from within the shell, and get the same error messages for both:

    W: not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    E: unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened

    Am I entering the commands in the right place or should I be doing it during start-up? If so, how do I go about interupting the start-up process and entering the command?

    The reason I need the Korn shell is that I am studying Unix, whilst I have managed to find alternative commands for set (awk) and print (echo) etc, I need to be able to practice these commands so as to pass my final test next week. I wrote my assignment scripts using my Knoppix 3.2 cd, but when I ftp'd them into Sun-Solaris, the amount of errors was not worth mentioning, and I was lucky that I had taken my Knoppix cd to class, so that I could show the teacher that the scripts actually worked.

    I would appreciate any advice or information you can provide.

    Thank you very much

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    6
    Oops! Sorry about that. apt-get works for me only after a hd-install.

    for the live cd, the /var/cache/apt file is a link to the /KNOPPIX file system on the cd which would be read-only.

    I was able to download from www.zsh.org the tar gzip sources. Which, after extracting, compiled fine with 'configure' followed by 'make'. The only issue would be installing the binary and it's libs (which could be left in place and added to your environment).

    This seems like a lot of trouble, but using zsh allows me to write scripts and just change '#!/bin/zsh' to '#!/bin/ksh' with few to no errors when running the script. (or even link /bin/ksh to /bin/zsh)

    I am supprised to hear that there were so many errors in your script. Which shell are you using then? bash?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhags
    I am supprised to hear that there were so many errors in your script.
    Which shell are you using then? bash?
    Don't be surprised. In as much as GNU's not Unix, bash is not ksh.
    I wish the korn shell was the standard linux shell like in most other unices,
    but that'll never happen. There's nothing wrong with bash of course, it's
    just that the not always so small incompatibilities cause unnecessary hassle.

    To the original poster, here are 3 suggestions:
    *) use morphix and burn the pdksh debian pakage under /deb on the CD
    it''ll be available at run-time
    *) on windows, I recently noticed cygwin now has a port of pdksh.
    this is not part of the default bundle, so you'll need to explicitly select it.
    *) with knoppix, you might try to fiddle with the /KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh
    script and use it to somehow put a binary pdksh on your path when booting

    And good luck with the test!

Similar Threads

  1. Can't find Knoppix filesystem, dropping to limited shell.
    By spurr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 11:06 PM
  2. lock root shell
    By Mikkey in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
  3. Knoppix installer from root shell, or knx2hd from boot?
    By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 12:29 AM
  4. tcsh shell on Knoppix
    By sorel in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 08:39 PM
  5. Shell scripts running at Knoppix
    By majales in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$3.07



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00