-
intel i810 audio doesn't load on Dell 4550
I have a Dell 4550 with the i810 audio and this is detected properly by knoppix but apparently it fails to load. Here is the output of lspci -v and the relevant sections of dmesg on bootup:
------dmesg section-----
Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.21, 20:19:20 Dec 10 2002
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1f.5 to 64
i810: Intel ICH4 found at IO 0xdc40 and 0xd800, IRQ 17
i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
i810_audio: Primary codec not ready.
-----/dmesg section-------
-----lspci -v -------------
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2560 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0142
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2561 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 64
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
Memory behind bridge: fc000000-fdffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e8000000-f7ffffff
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c2 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0142
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
I/O ports at ff80 [size=32]
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c4 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0142
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
I/O ports at ff60 [size=32]
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c7 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0142
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
I/O ports at ff40 [size=32]
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24cd (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0142
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
Memory at fe300800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BA/CA PCI Bridge (rev 81) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=32
I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
Memory behind bridge: fe100000-fe2fffff
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c0 (rev 01)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801DB ICH4 IDE (rev 01) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0142
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=8]
I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=4]
I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=8]
I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=4]
I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]
Memory at 20000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=1K]
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c3 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0142
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
I/O ports at dc80 [size=32]
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c5 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0142
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
I/O ports at dc40 [size=64]
Memory at fe300400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Memory at fe300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti4200] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0132
Flags: 66Mhz, medium devsel, IRQ 16
Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at eff80000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
02:02.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Lucent Microelectronics FW323 (rev 04) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Pinnacle Systems Inc.: Unknown device 000e
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
Memory at fe1ff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1039 (rev 81)
Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0142
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 20
Memory at fe1fe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
I/O ports at ecc0 [size=64]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
02:0c.0 Network controller: AIRONET Wireless Communications PC4800 (rev 01)
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
Memory at fe1fdc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
I/O ports at ec00 [size=128]
I/O ports at e8c0 [size=64]
=------
Please forward any ideas on what I can try to get this working.
thanks,
Jim
-
After a bit of hacking got it working
In case anyone else has this problem, these are the steps I have taken to get it working:
1) Got the 2.4.20 kernel from kernel.org
2) unpacked the kernel (tar xfvz) on another linux box
3) make menuconfig (and enabled modules in the kernel and select i810_audio as a module)
4) edit i810_audio.c file and remove the line #2677 containing "break" after the line that says "Primary codec not ready"
5) make dep
6) make modules
7) take the resulting i810_audio.o file now present in the drivers/sound directory and rename it to i810_audiotest.o and copy it to the /tmp directory of a running knoppix machine
in the /tmp directory as root type: insmod ac97_codec <enter> insmod i810_audiotest.o -f <enter>
Sound works now
-
Senior Member
registered user
true1ever,
I always like it when people who find out fixes for their problems come back and share the info. Thanks for sharing.
Similar Threads
-
By ovegr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 12:11 PM
-
By aravind in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:09 AM
-
By talismand in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 09-21-2003, 03:01 PM
-
By H-Makro in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-14-2003, 08:04 AM
-
By Anodos in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-30-2003, 02:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen 2a 8-Core 5850U 1.90GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM - #252127
$275.00