-
Junior Member
registered user
WLAN-config on bootup
Hello!
I'm a newbie to linux and don't know how to configure Knoppix 3.3 to qutomatically configure my WLAN-Card (Netgear WG311, 54mbit) during bootup. Knoppix is installed to my HDD, and I want to use it for Internet access. I have to configure ip-adress and Gateway everytime I boot Knoppix manually.
Please, can tell me somebody where I can permanently enter IP aand gateway?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: WLAN-config on bootup

Originally Posted by
cybersmurf
Hello!
I'm a newbie to linux and don't know how to configure Knoppix 3.3 to qutomatically configure my WLAN-Card (Netgear WG311, 54mbit) during bootup. Knoppix is installed to my HDD, and I want to use it for Internet access. I have to configure ip-adress and Gateway everytime I boot Knoppix manually.
Please, can tell me somebody where I can permanently enter IP aand gateway?
You need to edit the file /etc/network/interfaces it should look similar to this:
Code:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.254
You would of course change the file for your settings this done as root.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thankyouveryy much for your help Stephen, but it still dos not work.
ath0 (my WLAN card, it is the secondary ethernet controller in my machine, eth0 is the onboard ethernet controller) won't be configured automatically while booting Knoppix.
Is there anybody with a similar hardware configuration? Then please tell me, how you solved this problem.
-
Try using the script but instead of Eth0 put Eth1 instead. Then you will have your two ethernet connections.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thank you for that hin doeboy, but it still doesn't work.
I'll try to put the wlan-card into an other slot as it is now directly below my tuner-card.
I think, the wlancard was already in the slot as I installed knoppix and the driver, but the recommendations of the manufacturer were to first install the driver and then plug in the card.
Perhaps this causes the wlan-card to work as it should.
Ok, this didn't change anything
CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME, PLEASE!!!!
-
Junior Member
registered user
Perhaps the problem is the knoppix mode while booting from hd. next time i set up linux i'll try debian mode, but this could last some time as i neither want to re-install a working system, nor have problem making a new install necessary.
if somebody solves that problem, please tell me.
-
I was wondering if you could help me. I have a WG311 and want to use it from LiveCD (although i may be moving onto a harddisk soon). If you can tell me where to find what I need I'd be most grateful.
Plus I can then take a look at your problem.
-
Cybermurf wrote:
Hello!
I'm a newbie to linux and don't know how to configure Knoppix 3.3 to qutomatically configure my WLAN-Card (Netgear WG311, 54mbit) during bootup. Knoppix is installed to my HDD, and I want to use it for Internet access. I have to configure ip-adress and Gateway everytime I boot Knoppix manually.
Please, can tell me somebody where I can permanently enter IP aand gateway?
Hello Cybermurf,
I found your posting from last year today in searching a solution for my not detected WLAN card of the same type like yours. Whenever I boot Knoppix 3.3 or 3.4 (special c't-edition with kernel 2.4 or 2.6) from CD I get the message 'No WLAN Card detected' when I try to configure it. How did you succeed to make Linux aware of the hardware?
I would enjoy to get an answer from you or from anybody else
Regards
-
Junior Member
registered user
At first you need to download the MadWiFi driver. You can get it from sourceforge.net. You have to download it via CVS with the command:
cvs -z3 -d
server:[email protected]:/cvsroot/madwifi co madwifi
Then you have to compile the driver by changing to the folder madwifi. Just type "make all" and then "make install". Now the drivers are automatically loaded during boot-up.
Temporarily you can set an IP by "ifconfig ath0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up" ( you can choose your own IP).
Then set the gateway by:
route add default gw (router's IP)
Then there should be a wireless inet-connection.
Similar Threads
-
By scara in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-30-2005, 03:14 PM
-
By big_linux_geek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 06-19-2005, 09:08 PM
-
By lotech in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-04-2005, 05:08 PM
-
By knop in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
-
By sirzion in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1785.15

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Western Digital WD11PURZ 1TB Internal Surveillance Hard Drive Purple, SATA
$102.50

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.60

1 lot of (17) Samsung PM981a 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Internal SSD MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2
$1500.00

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

GPD G1 7600m XT
$480.00