Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Adding HD, New HD Install

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    10

    Adding HD, New HD Install

    I have read the forums and the docs but don't understand how to do this.

    I have had Knoppix 3.1 running on a 12 gig hd. I used knx-hdinstall to set it up. It was the only OS on this machine and the only HD.

    Yesterday I added a new larger HD as hda and made my existing drive hdb. Using Knoppix 3.3 (the Nov14/03 version) and knoppix-installer I did a debian type install to the new hd.

    I formatted the new hd with a boot partition, a swap partition, a partition to install knoppix to and then a large fourth partition which I intend to make my home partition. I left the old hd, now hdb, as it was. The installer sees both drives and it did install knoppix to hda but there are several things I need to sort out.

    - The large partition I intended to use for /home didn't get formatted and I haven't been able to figure out how to format it or how to get the OS to use that as /home rather than the /home directory it created in the smaller partition I put knoppix in. I did see some instructions about how to do this that ended with a note that they were not required with the new installer. I used the new installer but I didn't see any place to deal with this.


    - On boot it looks like the system is using the swap partion on the old drive, now hdb, rather than the new swap partition on hda. I tried to use cfdisk when it came up during the install to go into hdb and change the type of that partiion on hdb so it wouldn't see that as a swap partiion but it said hdb was readonly and wouldn't let me do anything with it.

    - I have a bunch of stuff in /home on hdb. Can I just copy that (data files, settings for mozilla, etc) to /home on hda and expect it to work?

    - When I get past these things, how do I get hdb to become extra space for my /home partition that can be used in addition to /home on hda?

    Thanks for any help!

    Ken

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    Re: Adding HD, New HD Install

    Quote Originally Posted by kgw
    I have read the forums and the docs but don't understand how to do this.

    I have had Knoppix 3.1 running on a 12 gig hd. I used knx-hdinstall to set it up. It was the only OS on this machine and the only HD.

    Yesterday I added a new larger HD as hda and made my existing drive hdb. Using Knoppix 3.3 (the Nov14/03 version) and knoppix-installer I did a debian type install to the new hd.

    I formatted the new hd with a boot partition, a swap partition, a partition to install knoppix to and then a large fourth partition which I intend to make my home partition. I left the old hd, now hdb, as it was. The installer sees both drives and it did install knoppix to hda but there are several things I need to sort out.

    - The large partition I intended to use for /home didn't get formatted and I haven't been able to figure out how to format it or how to get the OS to use that as /home rather than the /home directory it created in the smaller partition I put knoppix in. I did see some instructions about how to do this that ended with a note that they were not required with the new installer. I used the new installer but I didn't see any place to deal with this.
    su - root
    mke2fs -j /dev/hdax (x=Partitionsnummer, look up with fdisk -l /dev/hda)
    mount -t ext3 /dev/hdax /mnt
    mv /home/* /mnt
    umount /mnt
    in /etc/fstab:
    /dev/hdax /home ext3 defaults 0 0
    mount -a




    - On boot it looks like the system is using the swap partion on the old drive, now hdb, rather than the new swap partition on hda. I tried to use cfdisk when it came up during the install to go into hdb and change the type of that partiion on hdb so it wouldn't see that as a swap partiion but it said hdb was readonly and wouldn't let me do anything with it.
    mkswap /dev/hday ( y=Swappartition)
    in /etc/fstab
    change /dev/hdby swap swap ... to /dev/hday swap swap
    swapoff /dev/hdby
    swapon /dev/hday

    - I have a bunch of stuff in /home on hdb. Can I just copy that (data files, settings for mozilla, etc) to /home on hda and expect it to work?
    Yes

    - When I get past these things, how do I get hdb to become extra space for my /home partition that can be used in addition to /home on hda?
    mkdir /home/extraspace

    put this in /etc/fstab
    /dev/hdbz /home/extraspace ext3 defaults 0 0

    or use LVM

    Install Webmin a nice Browser based Frontend for Systemadministration


    Thanks for any help!

    Ken

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    10
    Wow, amazing. Thanks for all of those answers, they worked perfectly (other than mozilla not liking something in my profile as copied over).

    Thanks very much.

    Ken

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Helped me too 'ub' - I've added this to my personal 'Linux hints' file, which is getting so huge I'd better buy fanfold printer paper! (showing my age!)

    (It includes gems such as:-

    ffmpeg -i foo.dv -s 352x240 -vcodec mpeg1video -ab 224 -ar 44100 -ac 2 -hq -b 1150 -f vcd foo_vcd.mpg

    My personal favourite!)

    Thanksfor the help.

    Stu.....

Similar Threads

  1. adding files to cd to install without recompiling
    By sennachie in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 09:24 AM
  2. Adding a DVD writer post- HD-install
    By Arkaein in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 06:26 AM
  3. Adding to a cd???
    By rrfish72 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 09:25 PM
  4. Adding more ram?
    By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 02:47 AM
  5. Adding Fonts
    By mb456 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$71.87



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99