-
Re: Adding HD, New HD Install

Originally Posted by
kgw
I have read the forums and the docs but don't understand how to do this.
I have had Knoppix 3.1 running on a 12 gig hd. I used knx-hdinstall to set it up. It was the only OS on this machine and the only HD.
Yesterday I added a new larger HD as hda and made my existing drive hdb. Using Knoppix 3.3 (the Nov14/03 version) and knoppix-installer I did a debian type install to the new hd.
I formatted the new hd with a boot partition, a swap partition, a partition to install knoppix to and then a large fourth partition which I intend to make my home partition. I left the old hd, now hdb, as it was. The installer sees both drives and it did install knoppix to hda but there are several things I need to sort out.
- The large partition I intended to use for /home didn't get formatted and I haven't been able to figure out how to format it or how to get the OS to use that as /home rather than the /home directory it created in the smaller partition I put knoppix in. I did see some instructions about how to do this that ended with a note that they were not required with the new installer. I used the new installer but I didn't see any place to deal with this.
su - root
mke2fs -j /dev/hdax (x=Partitionsnummer, look up with fdisk -l /dev/hda)
mount -t ext3 /dev/hdax /mnt
mv /home/* /mnt
umount /mnt
in /etc/fstab:
/dev/hdax /home ext3 defaults 0 0
mount -a
- On boot it looks like the system is using the swap partion on the old drive, now hdb, rather than the new swap partition on hda. I tried to use cfdisk when it came up during the install to go into hdb and change the type of that partiion on hdb so it wouldn't see that as a swap partiion but it said hdb was readonly and wouldn't let me do anything with it.
mkswap /dev/hday ( y=Swappartition)
in /etc/fstab
change /dev/hdby swap swap ... to /dev/hday swap swap
swapoff /dev/hdby
swapon /dev/hday
- I have a bunch of stuff in /home on hdb. Can I just copy that (data files, settings for mozilla, etc) to /home on hda and expect it to work?
Yes
- When I get past these things, how do I get hdb to become extra space for my /home partition that can be used in addition to /home on hda?
mkdir /home/extraspace
put this in /etc/fstab
/dev/hdbz /home/extraspace ext3 defaults 0 0
or use LVM
Install Webmin a nice Browser based Frontend for Systemadministration
Thanks for any help!
Ken
Similar Threads
-
By sennachie in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-06-2005, 09:24 AM
-
By Arkaein in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-03-2005, 06:26 AM
-
By rrfish72 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-13-2004, 09:25 PM
-
By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-08-2004, 02:47 AM
-
By mb456 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Flash Technologies Programmer For 9044 Boards. Allows To Set Beacon #s
$380.00

Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse
$159.95

Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM
$275.00

Compaq 7550 17" CRT Retro Gaming Monitor PE1160-FS7550 VGA Vintage 2003 WORKING
$279.99

Original Microsoft Mouse Green-Eyed Rare Vintage
$300.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Ethernet Network Card 820-0207-A 1987 NuBus Adapter
$55.00

Vintage MITS Altair 680 Computer Case Outer Casing Front Panel Only Blue Gray
$399.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Rowallan Scotland Vintage Genuine Leather Briefcase/Messenger Bag 3-Piece Set
$399.00

Vintage Intel EtherExpress PRO LAN Adapter With Flash BRAND NEW
$29.99