-
-
was i dumb? 
i am linuxprince too!
-
I burnt Knoppix Linux into a CD and was trying to boot from the CD on my new Dell Inspiron 1100. The BIOS version was A25. During boot Setup i gave the first priority to CD but still the my laptop didn't boot from the Knoppix CD.
What could be the problem? I don't have a Floppy disk drive in my laptop ?
I believe the new laptops could boot from CD? Is this a BIOS problem?
-
Thaaannnnkk yoooouuuu !!!
Finally I worked it out with your help !
I couldn't understand why a basic Inspiron 1100 DELL laptop couldn't use Knoppix.
I'm not a linux master, but I add my install and setting process :
I had many many pbs to install it, first I thought it cames from my partition which was over the 1024th cylinder (partition magic warning) and couldn't boot with the installed Knoppix (3.3).
I had "false partition table" each boot or "wrong partition table" (can't remember), and couldn't get back to XP.
I'm working with an A22 BIOS revision
I found that the cfdisk (Knoppix install) had "bootable" on the linux partition and not on NTFS, I changed it (at this time I was worrying if it can hurt XP boot, now I'm ready to test everything) and it worked (I mean XP)
Next try :
So I moved the whole NTFS to the end and had a linux partition at the start of the disk (2,5 Go)
Then same pb : LILO didn't installed well (MBR stuff) and messed up.
I didn't fixmbr from XP disk but installed OSloader and reinstalled Knoppix (10th time, like an old Win 95 : plug and pray !).
Then it booted !!!!! first time Knoppix on my 1100
but in 640x480.
I turned to 1024x768 in config and reboot, just to test !
No more KDM (GUI) at startup
"kdm" (to launch GUI) tries to launch and get back to terminal
"startx" the same
BUT i've walked around many forums to find commands and tried :
"X -configure" (beware X --configure does something else)
it creates a xf86config.new in the root folder and tells you that you can test the server with :
XFree86 -xconfig /root/XF86Config.new
I tested and get a full screen X screen (just the gray matrix startup screen with the X mouse icon). I was surprised it was a full screen since no one reports a full screen on a inspiron 1100 due to video drivers.
Now, to finish :
with "mc" (midnight commander : very very usefull) I deleted XF86Config-4, XF86Config-4.in, XF86Config, XF86Config-4.backup, XF86Config-4.new in /etc/X11 (I tried to keep some but it didn't worked), copied XF86Config.new from /root to /etc/X11 and renamed it to XF86Config-4 and launched "kdm"
And it works !! Full screen !! 1024x768.
But in 256 colors for the moment (but I don't care, I need space and speed not fancy colors)
Yahoooooooo (2)
I will post this message to others since people don't "search" forums sometimes and stuck to their feed.
Further tests appreciated from others now !!!
-
glad that it helped u a bit!
i am proceeding again with knoppix the newer one! wish me luck
-
-
hmmm..i didnt have any problems with the video drivers..i normaly dont pass any mode while booting..i just hit return
i got fullscreen right from start
I beleive there is something called display configuration where u can configure it as a dell laptop 1024 disp!
update :lilo on knoppix 3.6 works well..it recognizes the partitions and allows to boot to windows with no hassle
Similar Threads
-
By Probert31 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-28-2005, 11:13 PM
-
By jimeee in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-03-2004, 10:04 PM
-
By rnick in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-11-2004, 08:16 PM
-
By Billabong9305 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:40 PM
-
By melknin in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00