<snip>
Fujitsu MP3204AT ... My problem is that I can only get the drive to go into udma-2...
</snip>
That's because UDMA-2 (UDMA-33) is the fastest mode supported by that drive, according to a Google search. From the age of the drive, that's likely.
I have:
Asus A7V333 (no raid, no nic, onboard-sound-disabled)
Athlon -XP1800
Fujitsu MP3204AT
Quantum Fireball CX
80 Pin cable
My problem is that I can only get the drive to go into udma-2. When I set the drive in udma-3/4 or 5, I get errors from the drive using tail -f /var/log/messages and a warning from hdparm that the modes 3/4/5 are not supported.
The bios on the mother board reports the drives as udma 5 and the other drive I have (Quantum) as udma 4. It reports the bus speed as 266...but I know that even winblows runs faster on my machine. I like knoppix, and I'm gonna keep it even if I can't get udma 3+ but if I can, I'd like to take advantage of my hardware.
Does anyone know how to enable udma modes higher than 2 in knoppix?
Thanks,
John
<snip>
Fujitsu MP3204AT ... My problem is that I can only get the drive to go into udma-2...
</snip>
That's because UDMA-2 (UDMA-33) is the fastest mode supported by that drive, according to a Google search. From the age of the drive, that's likely.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99