Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: VNC through broadband(ADSL/Cable) feasible ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    VNC through broadband(ADSL/Cable) feasible ?

    Hi,

    Just want to know if one can get acceptable performance doing this through ADSL/Cable(say accessing home machine from another side of the globe), assuming both side provides reasonable bandwidth ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Indeed you can. Your results will be similar to an internet 'speed test' which is not only dependant on the bandwidth available to the respective machines but is also largely dependant on the route the data must actualy take to get through the network to the other machine. There are settings for compression and options such as not sending the desktop backgrounnd that enable a much faster connection. I have found that VNC is one of the best teaching/support tools available andyes I do use it globally. Personally I like tightvnc. Curently the dev's are working support for file transfers but it is not quite yet implemented.

    Real VNC is also an option and they have a good FAQ..

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Best performance I've found ssh with compression and port forwarding:

    --VNC listens on port 5900 + whatever screen the server was started with; if you ' vncserver :3 ' then you would ' vncviewer SERVER:5903 '

    ' vncpasswd ' == Reset the VNC password to whatever you want to use; only need to run once on the server side

    --For this example, my vncserver is p233; on (server side) issue:
    ' vncserver :5 -geometry 1024x768 ' == You can use arbitrary geometry like 900x700 if you want

    --Connect remotely from Linux using ' vncviewer p233:5905 ' or http://p233:5805 if you have the Java viewer installed

    --To kill vnc on the server side:
    ' vncserver -kill :5 ' to bring it down and also terminate any client connections

    # IF you ' ssh -2 -C -c blowfish -L 5995233:5905 p233 ' from a client box, this will compress the VNC data
    # THEN ' vncviewer localhost:5995 ' on the client box to connect to the compressed SSH port
    # 5995 (localhost) ----=> 5905 (server)

    --The above directs SSH to allocate port 5995 on the *client* and listen to port 5905 on p233. You can still connect directly to p233:5905, but if you connect to localhost:5995 on the client you
    will get the compressed connection.

    --When ' vncserver ' is started, it checks ~/.vncrc, which sets some default values like geometry and color depth (NOT a typical shell script - see man vnc for details. Also note that you can override these default settings by passing args to vncserver on startup) and then points to ~/.vnc/Xsession. Xsession sets a few more regular shell vars and you can put stuff in there to run the rxvt terminal and use ' icewm ' or something as the window manager. If I didn't do this, then KDE would be running instead.

    --Contents of .vncrc
    Code:
    $vncStartup = "~/.vnc/XSession";
    --Contents of .vnc/XSession
    Code:
    # initialize variables for use by all session scripts
    
    OPTIONFILE=/etc/X11/Xsession.options
    
    SYSMODMAP=/etc/X11/Xmodmap
    USRMODMAP=$HOME/.Xmodmap
    SYSRESOURCES=/etc/X11/Xresources
    USRRESOURCES=$HOME/.Xresources
    
    SYSSESSIONDIR=/etc/X11/Xsession.d
    STARTUP=$HOME/.xsession
    ALTSTARTUP=$HOME/.Xsession
    ERRFILE=$HOME/.xsession-errors
    
    #xinit /usr/bin/sawfish
    ##source ~/.vnc/xstartup
    
    xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    
    #xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    #twm &
    #icewm &
    #/opt/gnome/bin/sawfish &
    ##/usr/bin/sawfish &
    xset s off
    
    # This is from the FAQ - start vncserver with -name
    
    rxvt -geometry 80x34+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    
    /usr/bin/sawfish &
    # Note: See ~/.xsession for which window manager to load!
    
    exit 0
    --Sometimes you will get faster response in the VNC window by limiting the viewer to 256 colors (8bit.) You can do this from Windows as well in the "Options" clicky before initiating the VNC
    connection.

    --If you are connecting from Windows, also play with the VNC options on the viewer - sometimes you get faster response with Hextile or one of the other options. Experiment.

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Indeed you can. Your results will be similar to an internet 'speed test' which is not only dependant on the bandwidth available to the respective machines but is also largely dependant on the route the data must actualy take to get through the network to the other machine. There are settings for compression and options such as not sending the desktop backgrounnd that enable a much faster connection. I have found that VNC is one of the best teaching/support tools available andyes I do use it globally. Personally I like tightvnc. Curently the dev's are working support for file transfers but it is not quite yet implemented.

    Real VNC is also an option and they have a good FAQ..

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    thanks for the reply.

    Something I don't quite quite understand about the vnc server part is, can I start it after I logon through ssh or it must be started as a daemon ?

    I don't want to open up a computer to the world and only ssh.

    What I want to do is only have ssh visible to the rest of the world. When I am on the road, ssh back(either linux or putty on windows) to get a terminal session(as well as port forwarding). From there I start vnc server on my port of choice then connect the vnc client through ssh port forwarding.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --You can start vncserver from ssh, but if you want ONLY the ssh port visible you will have to firewall the box (iptables, firestarter, etc) -- otherwise nmap will also reveal the vncserver port.

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    thanks for the reply.

    Something I don't quite quite understand about the vnc server part is, can I start it after I logon through ssh or it must be started as a daemon ?

    I don't want to open up a computer to the world and only ssh.

    What I want to do is only have ssh visible to the rest of the world. When I am on the road, ssh back(either linux or putty on windows) to get a terminal session(as well as port forwarding). From there I start vnc server on my port of choice then connect the vnc client through ssh port forwarding.

Similar Threads

  1. Broadband KNOPPIX on CD
    By mattrock1988 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 05:43 AM
  2. Broadband
    By tfoso in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 10:04 PM
  3. Broadband dialup
    By Databug in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 10:11 PM
  4. Apt-get stalls on cable cable connection
    By vesselinpeev in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 05:32 AM
  5. Knoppix with MSN Broadband?
    By xTrinity in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 01:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99