Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix accessing HDD for swap space??

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15

    Knoppix accessing HDD for swap space??

    I've been noticing that whenever Konqueror starts Java, or whenever I run Mozilla at all, the hard drive access light starts flashing. I am running it on an old PC, K6-2/400 with 128Mb of memory, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is running out of memory, but still. . . .

    Is Konqueror using the hard drive for swap space? If so, how can it be safe??

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    80
    Do you have knoppix installed or running from CD? Linux uses the hard drive for swap space. You should have a dedicated linux swap partition on a hard drive. Windows basically does the same but it calls it "virtual memory" and can be specified as well. This is not a new concept. It may be new to the casual windows user who has never broken from the microsoft mold but power users are very familiar. Oh and swap space is safe and frees up memory for other tasks. Hope this helps

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15
    Ok, I see that I didn't provide nearly enough information. My bad. I probably should have mentioned that I have an MSCS, did systems programming on IBM mainframes to pay my way through grad school, and have done a sh*tload of application programming on UNIX (and Linux) systems for the last twenty years. My thesis was on RAID, which was a new and hot topic back in the early 1980's. Now that we've established that I am not a totally clueless luser. . . .

    I am running Knoppix 3.3 from CD. It is being run on an older machine that has Win98SE installed. The hard drive doesn't -- repeat does NOT -- have a separate Linux swap partition on it. It has two FAT32 partitions, both of which are filled with my files and programs. "Filled", as in, there's about 50Mb left, just barely enough to boot Win98SE.

    The partitions aren't mounted. Knoppix obviously detects that they exist, but it shouldn't be writing to them or even reading them.

    Which is why it is so unnerving to me to see the drive-access light flashing. Knoppix isn't installed on the HD, it doesn't have a swap partition, and the partitions aren't mounted, so: is it using swap space on the drive despite all that? With the access light flashing like mad, I am more than a little concerned that Knoppix is merrily overwriting my data.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    There is also an option to have a swap file on a fat32 partition when you boot up.. I think that if you have under 96megs of ram it will ask if you want to make a swap file.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15
    Thanks, Eadz; this machine has 128Mb, and Knoppix never asked -- I guess I just have to hope it's only writing to the empty spots. :-/

    Oh well. Gonna get an Asus Terminator (hopefully the T2 if they release one for the Athlon -- has an AGP slot) soon, then I can just install Linux permanently.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Are you sure its not cdrom drive access lights you're seeing?

    Regards,

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8.x toram causes crash when utilising swap space
    By cleary in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 07:35 AM
  2. Accessing Windows Registry Through Knoppix
    By kaplan71 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 10:09 AM
  3. Encrpyiotn with Knoppix (Kernel and/or User Space)
    By ChaosKCW in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:13 PM
  4. How to force swap space on HD not to mount ?
    By cwee005 in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 11:21 PM
  5. USB Thumb drive as swap space?
    By iconfly in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 09:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Samsung 2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz picture

Samsung 2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz

$59.99