Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Dell Laptop no boot to Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1

    Dell Laptop no boot to Knoppix

    Hi,

    Trying to boot a new Dell Laptop into Knoppix, here are the specs on the laptop:

    Inspiron 5150
    15" SXGA
    Pentium 4 3.06Ghz
    512MB of 333Mhz Ram
    32MB nVidia Quadro FX Go5200
    40GB Ultra Ata Hardrive with WinXP installed
    8x DVD drive

    Ok, the problem is that when I boot with the Knoppix CD, it takes me to the boot screen where I can go to the F2 key with no problem but it will not let me load the cheatcodes.txt. The problem is that once I make a selection for booting it starts to boot vmlinuz and then loading miniroot.gz and then the screen goes blank, and the CD stops spinning. I have tried just about every cheat code listed on the knoppix website to no avail. I can not load Mandrake 9.1 either, But I can load Mandrake 9.2 and Suse 8.2.

    I am trying to install MDK 9.2 or Knoppix onto the drive to dual boot with WINXP but MDK 9.2 returns an error when trying to resize the NTFS partition for XP. I wanted to use the knoppix cd to see if I could use its NTFS resize.

    I would like to solve the first problem of it booting vmlinuz then miniroot.gz and then the screen goes blank. Have tried a bunch of the cheat codes to include failsafe, and a bunch of the display resolution settings, still does not work.

    I have even tried to boot into runlevel 2 and the same thing happens, can't boot into runlevel 2???? Can't be an X problem or a video card issue. SO what the f*ck, Chuck?

    Eric

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    embsupafly,

    I am having the exact same issue on a Dell Inspiron 4100. Knoppix 3.2 works great but I want to see all the new features with 3.3.

    Does anyone have any clues here?

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You may want to see this thread for a remaster that works with your machine.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix annoyance on Dell Laptop
    By katana5 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 04:25 PM
  2. Knoppix Issues on Dell 700m Laptop
    By eeraj in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 05:16 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.6 on Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop
    By jimeee in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 10:04 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 08:11 AM
  5. CD BOOT on a Dell 8500 Laptop.
    By robmc5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 06:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99