Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Kernel compile after hdd-install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3

    Kernel compile after hdd-install

    Hi,

    I use knoppix to install debian on my machines.
    On my laptop i wanted to use gatos (gatos.sourceforge.net) to get Xv and DRI working on the internal ATI-mach 64 videocard. However, to be able to insmod the mach64.o module I need cmpxchg in the kernel and the stock knoppix kernel doesn't have it enabled. So I wend about to compile my own kernel. I did the following:

    apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.20
    cd /usr/src
    tar -xjf kernel-sources.2.4.20.tar.bz2
    cd kernel-source-2.4.20
    make xconfig
    changed CPU-architecture to Pentium-III (for cmpxchg)
    make-kpkg clean
    make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
    dpkg -i dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.20_custom.1.0_i386.deb

    Then I changed /etc/lilo.conf to point to the new kernel.
    I reran lilo and rebooted.

    I chose my new kernel.
    The new kernel can't mount the root partition (reiserfs).
    I've tried about everythin I can think of but I can't seem to get a working kernel that is able to mount the root partition.

    Please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    I´m not sure but knoppix partition is xfs after installing knoppix to hard disk and it may be the problem here.
    is it knoppix kernel source for download at any place? in order to be able recompiling the ´original´ source.
    It is not at /usr/src/

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3

    Kernel compile

    When I did a HDD install, I chose for reiserfs, I saw a reiser filesystem being made for the root partition. The new kernel is compiled with reiserfs support.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202

    Re: Kernel compile

    Quote Originally Posted by hopman
    When I did a HDD install, I chose for reiserfs, I saw a reiser filesystem being made for the root partition. The new kernel is compiled with reiserfs support.
    yes, but when i did hdd install i chose for ext3 but partition is xfs actually. I have debian in other partition whose kernel is compiled with ext3 support and without xfs support. If i run e2fsck on knoppix i get error 'system file not supported get a e2fsck new version'
    Partition Magic 8 recognizes ext3 parttions but it knows anything about knoppix partition.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202

    Re: Kernel compile

    Quote Originally Posted by hopman
    When I did a HDD install, I chose for reiserfs, I saw a reiser filesystem being made for the root partition. The new kernel is compiled with reiserfs support.
    yes, but when i did hdd install i chose for ext3 but partition is xfs actually. I have debian in other partition whose kernel is compiled with ext3 support and without xfs support. If i run e2fsck on knoppix i get error 'system file not supported get a e2fsck new version'
    Partition Magic 8 recognizes ext3 parttions but it knows anything about knoppix partition.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3
    I tried fsck.reiserfs but it can't be run on a read/write mount and I can't remount root (/) because it is busy

    However, I did find this in dmesg (line numbers added by me):

    01. RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
    02. Freeing initrd memory: 166k freed
    03. VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
    04. FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
    05. FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
    06. reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 03:02) ...
    07. Using r5 hash to sort names
    08. ReiserFS version 3.6.25
    09. VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
    10. Trying to move old root to /initrd ... okay


    It looks to like /dev/hda2 (my root partition) is mounted as a reiserfs (lines 06-09), but what happens before that (line 03) ? It looks like something is mounted as root with a ext2 filesystem and then remounted as /initrd. Is initrd.img mounted as root first ? And if so could that be interfering with the new kernel ??

Similar Threads

  1. compile kernel with adeos
    By hasab in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 06:45 AM
  2. Kernel compile 2.6.6 - only once?
    By davros4269 in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 08:49 AM
  3. Upgraded Kernel Won't Compile
    By Max in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 06:56 PM
  4. Kernel compile problem - first Knoppix kernel compile
    By Nigel_Tufnel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
  5. how to compile kernel ?
    By nhoxanh in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$95.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1100.00