Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: can't boot from hard drive but only from floppy

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    8

    can't boot from hard drive but only from floppy

    Linux noob here: I've installed Knoppix successfully, BUT...it won't boot from the hard drive, just from the boot floppy. When I leave the boot floppy out, I get about 10 rows of "99"s across the screen, then nothing. But when I put in the boot floppy, it loads files from the floppy then boots from the hard drive and everything's great. How do I get the boot files on to the hard drive so I don't have to use the boot floppy? Thanks for your replies.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    I assume you did a hard drive install of knoppix and lilo bootloader is not working properly. To fix it, edit /etc/lilo.conf, type /sbin/lilo in a terminal, and reboot.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    8

    can't boot to hard drive only floppy

    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did do a hard drive install with knoppix, but just made a boot floppy. I thought that doing a hard drive install as described on this site would enable the hard drive to boot. Being new to this, I need some detailed instructions on how to get the hard drive to boot by itself. I don't need lilo since this is a dedicated linux machine with no windows on it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    You have to put a bootloader on the master boot record of the HD for it to boot. I recommend lilo. Edit /etc/lilo.conf as root, then open a terminal and type: /sbin/lilo If you get errors, try again. Here's a sample lilo.conf for redhat 9:

    prompt
    timeout=50
    default=RedHat9
    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    install=/boot/boot.b
    message=/boot/message
    lba32

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8
    label=RedHat9
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
    read-only
    append="hdc=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    8

    Lilo installation successfull...boots from HD now ...thanks!

    Thanks. My Knoppix now boots from hd.....
    Appreciate your replies.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't boot from new hard drive
    By Kowood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 02:44 AM
  2. why does hard drive install mess up tomsrtbt floppy?
    By db109 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 04:03 AM
  3. boot from usb hard drive on laptop with no floppy
    By holyboy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 03:45 PM
  4. Boot from Hard Disk without floppy
    By nicklaser in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 11:22 AM
  5. Newbie: Boot from floppy & USB CD-ROM drive
    By dboffin in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 10:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$75.00