Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: uncompressing blocks Help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    7

    uncompressing blocks Help

    I have forgot the actual error, but when I try to load knoppix-std (I'm usre I would get the same problem for other distros) I get an error that says "cloop blah blah uncommpreesing block error at sector 32133" or something close I'll wirte it down if you need me to. The cd-drive that the cd is in is, a generic cd-rw. And the distro is burnt on a cd-rw (it it matters) I used Nero 5.9.9.

    Any help would be deeply appreciated.

    I got Knoopix L.A.S. (Local Area Security) to work with no problems or cheatcodes.
    But unfortunately F.I.R.E. (Forensics and Incident Response Environment) doesn't work. I just idles there maybe it has the same error it just doesn't show it? I don't know. i know I should ask the distros people but I'm thinking it's not actually there problem it more of a cd burn or just general knoppix not liking my system.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: uncompressing blocks Help

    1. Check the md5sum of the iso
    2. Re-burn to CDR and try again. Cloop errors are generally read-errors on the media.

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid
    I have forgot the actual error, but when I try to load knoppix-std (I'm usre I would get the same problem for other distros) I get an error that says "cloop blah blah uncommpreesing block error at sector 32133" or something close I'll wirte it down if you need me to. The cd-drive that the cd is in is, a generic cd-rw. And the distro is burnt on a cd-rw (it it matters) I used Nero 5.9.9.

    Any help would be deeply appreciated.

    I got Knoopix L.A.S. (Local Area Security) to work with no problems or cheatcodes.
    But unfortunately F.I.R.E. (Forensics and Incident Response Environment) doesn't work. I just idles there maybe it has the same error it just doesn't show it? I don't know. i know I should ask the distros people but I'm thinking it's not actually there problem it more of a cd burn or just general knoppix not liking my system.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    7
    Yeah I forgot to state that. But I have chacked all of my md5sums. and since you think it is now a read error. Do you think that maybe the brand of cd-rw i'm using is not a good brand for burning isos or something.. oh yeah.. it is memorex and I have had horrific troubles before.. damn now I need to find a different brand cd-rw. thanks though. Bye

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Yep, that's confirmed. I too have Memorex 700MB "high-speed" CDRW and they're absolute *garbage.* They crap out after less than 10 rewrites, even if there are no scratches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid
    Yeah I forgot to state that. But I have chacked all of my md5sums. and since you think it is now a read error. Do you think that maybe the brand of cd-rw i'm using is not a good brand for burning isos or something.. oh yeah.. it is memorex and I have had horrific troubles before.. damn now I need to find a different brand cd-rw. thanks though. Bye

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    7
    ah, well much thanks to you. Thankfully these are not my cd-rw my freind gave them to me to burn him some pornVCDs lol.. I think all memorex stuff is crap, everytime I have tried to burn using memorex in my HP cd16 cd-rw drive the disc has errored.. well there was the ocassional good disc but still losing just one cd-r is horrible.

    What cd-rw brand would you recommend? I wanna use cd-rws for my live cds so when they get updates I can just update the disc instead of using another cd-r.

    Cheers.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    7
    oh and since you are helping me currently. Would you know how to mount the floopy drive in knoppix?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Well, there's ONE bit of info I didn't need to know. Honestly I have no idea which CDRW brands are good, maybe somebody else can jump in here.

    --To mount the floppy drive from shell:
    ' sudo mkdir /mnt/floppy ' == JustInCase
    ' mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -orw '

    --Access /mnt/floppy from $your-favorite-software.

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid
    ah, well much thanks to you. Thankfully these are not my cd-rw my freind gave them to me to burn him some pornVCDs lol.. I think all memorex stuff is crap, everytime I have tried to burn using memorex in my HP cd16 cd-rw drive the disc has errored.. well there was the ocassional good disc but still losing just one cd-r is horrible.

    What cd-rw brand would you recommend? I wanna use cd-rws for my live cds so when they get updates I can just update the disc instead of using another cd-r.

    Cheers.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    7
    oh sorry, I didn't mean to type thing it just came out. I really don't understand the mounting a floppy part..

    ' sudo mkdir /mnt/floppy ' == JustInCase <--- JustInCase?
    ' mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -orw '

    --Access /mnt/floppy from $your-favorite-software <--- and this entire line.

    I'm a super newb to linux.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041


    o JustInCase that directory doesn't exist, it will be created (because it needs to be there regardless)

    (Make sure you type in those commands *without* the single quotes, and only type the part that's quoted)

    o Your files will be accessible AT the " /mnt/floppy " directory from YOUR FAVORITE SOFTWARE

    --Think about it a little, I don't think I'm *that* obscure...

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid
    oh sorry, I didn't mean to type thing it just came out. I really don't understand the mounting a floppy part..

    ' sudo mkdir /mnt/floppy ' == JustInCase <--- JustInCase?
    ' mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -orw '

    --Access /mnt/floppy from $your-favorite-software <--- and this entire line.

    I'm a super newb to linux.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    7
    alright I think I got it..thanks hm, well another question.. how could I make it auto do this everytime. I heard you can save configurations on a floppy but to use the floppy I have you mount it. is there a way I can get it to load the floppymount configurations from floppy and all my other configurations? Sorry, that I'm becoming a nusience

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 06:43 AM
  2. knopix 3.7 boot problem: error -3 uncompressing block...
    By HONK in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 07:45 PM
  3. MSN.com blocks link to Knoppix
    By Discerner0 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 05:47 AM
  4. no letters only blocks in kde
    By valles in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 03:12 PM
  5. corrupt Super Blocks
    By loji in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2003, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Pokemon 1999 Official Nintendo Squirtle Mouse Pad New In Factory Wrap picture

Vintage Pokemon 1999 Official Nintendo Squirtle Mouse Pad New In Factory Wrap

$35.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00



Vintage Motion Control AB Beehive Technologies ADB I/O Interface Apple Macintosh picture

Vintage Motion Control AB Beehive Technologies ADB I/O Interface Apple Macintosh

$239.99



Vintage 5.25

Vintage 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive Cleaning Kit Lot (1 Scotch 3M + 1 Verbatim) NOS⁠

$49.00



Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac picture

Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac

$14.75



Vintage Tandy Color Computer Print Master Software Manual & Floppy Disk Binder picture

Vintage Tandy Color Computer Print Master Software Manual & Floppy Disk Binder

$38.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards

$57.59