-
cheatcodes being ignored by GRUB
I am attempting to run knoppix on a toshiba tablet pc. i have windows xp installed and I'm using GRUB to run Knoppix from the hard drive since it won't boot from the PCMCIA-CD drive. I got it to work by putting the bootfloppy files onto the partition where knoppix lives.
When Knoppix boots, it gets a little way through - recognizes the processor - then says:
PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr
cardmgr[391]: starting, version is 3.2.2
blah, blah
modprobe: Can't locate module memory_cs
blah, blah
Then it hangs.
So I attempted to use the nopcmcia cheatcode, but it doesn't seem to stop the "PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr" stuff. It hangs every time.
Here is my GRUB entry - am I doing something wrong? Why does cardmgr still attempt to run?
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz nopcmcia
initrd /miniroot.gz
Note - I've also tried using the failsafe and expert cheatcodes, but they don't seem to do anything different either. Am I not formatting the cheatcodes correctly for grub?
-
I think I figured this out.
Seems that whatever version of GRUB I am using is ignoring the first argument / parameter / cheatcode, no matter what it is.
So the following works just fine:
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz foobar nopcmcia
initrd /miniroot.gz
weird, eh?
Similar Threads
-
By djarum in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-23-2005, 04:02 PM
-
By redss in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 09:17 PM
-
By brentmid in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-25-2003, 02:45 PM
-
By larryks in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-09-2003, 12:43 PM
-
By George Wiedmann in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-20-2003, 05:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$128.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.15

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$199.00

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99