I use lilo, as in this post; and it works fine:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1075#4399
I am attempting to run knoppix on a toshiba tablet pc. i have windows xp installed and I'm using GRUB to run Knoppix from the hard drive since it won't boot from the PCMCIA-CD drive. I got it to work by putting the bootfloppy files onto the partition where knoppix lives.
When Knoppix boots, it gets a little way through - recognizes the processor - then says:
PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr
cardmgr[391]: starting, version is 3.2.2
blah, blah
modprobe: Can't locate module memory_cs
blah, blah
Then it hangs.
So I attempted to use the nopcmcia cheatcode, but it doesn't seem to stop the "PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr" stuff. It hangs every time.
Here is my GRUB entry - am I doing something wrong? Why does cardmgr still attempt to run?
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz nopcmcia
initrd /miniroot.gz
Note - I've also tried using the failsafe and expert cheatcodes, but they don't seem to do anything different either. Am I not formatting the cheatcodes correctly for grub?
I use lilo, as in this post; and it works fine:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1075#4399
I think I figured this out.
Seems that whatever version of GRUB I am using is ignoring the first argument / parameter / cheatcode, no matter what it is.
So the following works just fine:
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz foobar nopcmcia
initrd /miniroot.gz
weird, eh?

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s
$59.00
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500 GB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99
New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59