Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: NFS Confusion on home PC

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18

    NFS Confusion on home PC

    When shutting down my computer I'm seeing messages about stopping NFS daemons. As I don't want to share my directories/files over the internet, this seems like a potential security hole.

    Is NFS enabled by default?
    Does anyone know of a good place to start where I can understand how to confiigure/disable NFS.

    Thanks for any info.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: NFS Confusion on home PC

    --Lots of stuff is called at shutdown, whether the actual service is running or not.

    --Run ' nmap localhost ' - it will tell you what services are running. NFS is provided by the following:
    /etc/init.d/portmap, nfs-kernel-server, nfs-common.

    --Here is a utility script I wrote to stop everything but ssh and squid (don't forget to chmod +x it, run as root) - BEGIN stopsvcs
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /etc/init.d/proftpd stop
    /etc/init.d/vsftpd stop
    /etc/init.d/portmap stop
    /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server stop
    /etc/init.d/nfs-common stop
    /etc/init.d/inetd stop
    /etc/init.d/ntop stop
    
    ps ax
    nmap localhost

    Quote Originally Posted by bsaunders
    When shutting down my computer I'm seeing messages about stopping NFS daemons. As I don't want to share my directories/files over the internet, this seems like a potential security hole.

    Is NFS enabled by default?
    Does anyone know of a good place to start where I can understand how to confiigure/disable NFS.

    Thanks for any info.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18
    Thanks, that was informative and I feel much more confident now that I'm not leaving myself exposed to malicious mischief.

    Brent.

Similar Threads

  1. How to NFS remount /home
    By sunburnt in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 11:35 PM
  2. 8cm DVD with buit-in HOME
    By josep in forum Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 08:00 PM
  3. KDE package confusion
    By Durand Hicks in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 05:50 PM
  4. ATI grafics + nForce mobo = total confusion
    By heffeque in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 08:31 AM
  5. Replace default cd home drive with persistant home drive ???
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G

$75.00



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$36.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89



Cisco C9300L-STACK-KIT2 Network Stacking Module Kit Catalyst 9300L & 9300LM New picture

Cisco C9300L-STACK-KIT2 Network Stacking Module Kit Catalyst 9300L & 9300LM New

$495.57