-
NFS Confusion on home PC
When shutting down my computer I'm seeing messages about stopping NFS daemons. As I don't want to share my directories/files over the internet, this seems like a potential security hole.
Is NFS enabled by default?
Does anyone know of a good place to start where I can understand how to confiigure/disable NFS.
Thanks for any info.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: NFS Confusion on home PC
--Lots of stuff is called at shutdown, whether the actual service is running or not.
--Run ' nmap localhost ' - it will tell you what services are running. NFS is provided by the following:
/etc/init.d/portmap, nfs-kernel-server, nfs-common.
--Here is a utility script I wrote to stop everything but ssh and squid (don't forget to chmod +x it, run as root) - BEGIN stopsvcs
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/proftpd stop
/etc/init.d/vsftpd stop
/etc/init.d/portmap stop
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server stop
/etc/init.d/nfs-common stop
/etc/init.d/inetd stop
/etc/init.d/ntop stop
ps ax
nmap localhost

Originally Posted by
bsaunders
When shutting down my computer I'm seeing messages about stopping NFS daemons. As I don't want to share my directories/files over the internet, this seems like a potential security hole.
Is NFS enabled by default?
Does anyone know of a good place to start where I can understand how to confiigure/disable NFS.
Thanks for any info.
-
Thanks, that was informative and I feel much more confident now that I'm not leaving myself exposed to malicious mischief.
Brent.
Similar Threads
-
By sunburnt in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-09-2005, 11:35 PM
-
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-05-2004, 08:00 PM
-
By Durand Hicks in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-08-2004, 05:50 PM
-
By heffeque in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 01-07-2004, 08:31 AM
-
By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW
$49.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

Samsung Notebook 9 Pen Touchscreen 2-in-1 Motherboard NP930SBE-K01US
$111.45

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra
$20.99

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD
$59.99

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black
$500.00

Samsung 990 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Internal SSD 7,250MB/s
$285.00