Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: READ-ONLY

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    READ-ONLY

    HELLO,
    I have the last one knoppix release, i had set persistant home on my hd /dev/hdb1 and i have saved my configuration.
    I start knoppix with this command:

    Knoopix home=/dev/hdb1 myconfig=/dev/hdb1

    I try to use Modem Rockwell 56k, but it says Unable to open modem

    I read on HELP that i have to change permission of KPPP

    I do it, BUT IT SAY THAT MY FILESYSTEM IS READ ONLY!!

    I THINK IT USE RAMDISK!! HOW I CAN USE MY MODEM?

    THANKS A LOT

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: READ-ONLY

    --Try using wvdial instead:
    as root:
    ' wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf '

    Then edit /etc/wvdial.conf and put in your ISP information. You may also have to edit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or chap-secrets for your ID and password.

    --To dial out, ' sudo wvdial '.

    --I have found that even tho wvdial has a clunkier interface, in general it's more reliable than kppp. However, if wvdialconf can't find your modem then it's likely a WINmodem, and will only work under Windows.

    Quote Originally Posted by lello107
    HELLO,
    I have the last one knoppix release, i had set persistant home on my hd /dev/hdb1 and i have saved my configuration.
    I start knoppix with this command:

    Knoopix home=/dev/hdb1 myconfig=/dev/hdb1

    I try to use Modem Rockwell 56k, but it says Unable to open modem

    I read on HELP that i have to change permission of KPPP

    I do it, BUT IT SAY THAT MY FILESYSTEM IS READ ONLY!!

    I THINK IT USE RAMDISK!! HOW I CAN USE MY MODEM?

    THANKS A LOT

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    If the modem is a winmodem, some have drivers for linux, and there are posts in this forum telling how to get them working in knoppix.
    A Rockwell may have a conexant chipset.

Similar Threads

  1. CD-RW Read?
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
  2. read only
    By namelessservant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 02:56 AM
  3. Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'
    By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
  4. Read only HD
    By Macrob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 10:44 AM
  5. USB drive read-only
    By Keilaron in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 04:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99