-
Senior Member
registered user
> Second, this will be an install on an entire HDD, no dual boot. --- Are there any cautions you would give a newbie before starting on a project like this?
--If you're making separate partitions:
/boot == ~8MB
/usr == 2300MB +
/ == ~250 - 500MB
Swap == 256MB to however much RAM you have, but generally not over 1GB.
--If you're going to have a lot of user accounts or put a lot of stuff in your personal dir, either make 500MB - 1GB /home or increase size of root /. (I have 755MB in my /home dir for example.)
> Third, and most important... how do I pronounce Debian? I've been pronouncing it as if it were an achronym... like D.B.N. (with the accent on the "D") But I recently heard it pronounced Deh-bian (like Debbie or Deborah)
--Technically I think it's pronounced deh-bee-an but I pronounce it dee-bee-an. I don't think they really care which one you use - if anyone tells you different, tell them to shut up (and stop being pedantic) and use whichever version you like best.
--It's like Linux. Some people pronounce it linn-ucks, I pronounce it line-ucks, Linus pronounces it leenoox. It's not worth getting into a flamewar over - if it's open to interpretation, use whatever you feel is best.
--Personally I try to follow "natural English" - if they wanted Debian pronounced a certain way they should have added another B or capitalized the I.
Same goes for Linux; add another N if you want it pronounced that way. Otherwise it's moronic to try and *force* people to pronounce it a certain way.
-
so the way you are meant to read linux and debian is actually how all italians would read it if it were an italian word!
Well lucky for us
BTW if i had to write a text2speech program i would do it in italian as 99% of the words you can make absolutely no mistake on how to read'em: there's only one way to read each letter, or at most each syllabus (G_ and C_ depend on to the following letter)
Similar Threads
-
By mzilikazi in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-22-2004, 04:34 PM
-
By rockdoctor in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-18-2004, 02:07 AM
-
By FuzzieBio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
-
By THiM in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-08-2003, 03:35 PM
-
By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 06-27-2003, 01:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00

IBM Power 710 Express 8231-E2B POWER7 16GB DDR3 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$409.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power 710 Express 8231-E2B 2U Rack Server POWER7 3.0GHz 32GB DDR3 No HDD
$429.99

IBM Power 710 Express 8231-E2B POWER7 8GB DDR3 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$399.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$281.25

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99