Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How to watch the boot sequence?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    8

    How to watch the boot sequence?

    By default my screen blanks during the boot process. That's not helpful when the boot process hangs and I want to diagnose the problem. How can I watch Knoppix boot?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: How to watch the boot sequence?

    Quote Originally Posted by wfb
    By default my screen blanks during the boot process. That's not helpful when the boot process hangs and I want to diagnose the problem. How can I watch Knoppix boot?
    Try using vga=normal for a cheat code when you boot. If this does not work could you post more details on the hardware in the machine and how you are trying to boot eg from CD or HD.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    8
    Crikey! does that mean it's not supposed to blank? I thought that was a "feature" of Knoppix.

    I was booting from the hard drive -- but the boot sequence wasn't finishing so I've deleted the HD install. However the same applies when I boot from a CD.

    My computer is a Toshiba Satellite 4060xcdt laptop -- Knoppix doesn't recognise the built-in video, but it generally works fine once the boot sequence finishes.

    Cheat codes are:

    knoppix screen=1280x1024 lang=US wheelmouse

    Incidentally, if the screen cheat code doesn't come first in the list, it doesn't work. Is this significant?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    8
    I can see the boot sequence fine with Knoppix 3.3

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I noticed that the live CD boot hides the more complicated (unnerving?) bits and that the Debian style HD install doesn't! Klaus's clever autoconfig script sends some messages to 'null' - that's about all I could follow when I took a look at it!

    Stu.....

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --And I wish he wouldn't do that. I'm a computer guy, I *LIKE* to see the bootup messages. 'Sfine by me to put them in another window/VT and leave the default screen "clean" for a nice-looking bootup, but I miss not being able to see the kernel messages with Knoppix live-cds.

    Quote Originally Posted by stukennedyuk
    I noticed that the live CD boot hides the more complicated (unnerving?) bits and that the Debian style HD install doesn't! Klaus's clever autoconfig script sends some messages to 'null' - that's about all I could follow when I took a look at it!

    Stu.....

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Irvine, Ca, USA
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --And I wish he wouldn't do that. I'm a computer guy, I *LIKE* to see the bootup messages. 'Sfine by me to put them in another window/VT and leave the default screen "clean" for a nice-looking bootup, but I miss not being able to see the kernel messages with Knoppix live-cds.
    Change the boot.img the way you like it & remaster. Thats what
    open software is all about.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    Too much work for too little gain. I'd have to do it for every Kpx rev.

    Quote Originally Posted by rdt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --And I wish he wouldn't do that. I'm a computer guy, I *LIKE* to see the bootup messages. 'Sfine by me to put them in another window/VT and leave the default screen "clean" for a nice-looking bootup, but I miss not being able to see the kernel messages with Knoppix live-cds.
    Change the boot.img the way you like it & remaster. Thats what
    open software is all about.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot Sequence Optimization
    By Kater Karlo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 05:46 AM
  2. Changing boot record / sequence with 3.6
    By longshot in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 02:34 AM
  3. Default Dual-Boot Sequence
    By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 01:37 PM
  4. the boot sequence
    By Alexxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 11:32 AM
  5. colors during boot sequence
    By vampylestat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2003, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core Ultra 7 270K Plus 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) picture

Intel Core Ultra 7 270K Plus 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores)

$269.99



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz 8 Core Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz 8 Core Processor

$85.00



HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD picture

HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD

$199.95



*Brand New-Factory Sealed* AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 5.6GHz AM5 00-100001973WOF picture

*Brand New-Factory Sealed* AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 5.6GHz AM5 00-100001973WOF

$429.00



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$395.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$179.99