Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Read-Only Hard drive?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4

    Read-Only Hard drive?

    Hi, I'm a Knoppix/Gnoppix newbie.
    And I'm not sure if this question has already been asked.
    However, I can't modify/create/delete files on my hard disk partitions after I mount 'em.

    These are the commands I execute just in case there was a mistake on my part.

    cd /mnt
    mount hda1

    ... after this I can just view the files and nothing else.
    And I have the same problem on both live cd's... anyone have a solution?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18
    Type the following into the search knoppix.net form item.

    Mount Writeable

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the tip
    But from what I can sum up... it's possible that you can corrupt your entire drive if you have an ntfs file system (nt/2k/xp)?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Okay... I followed the procedures on the read/write support threads... and I tested on another drive which is only used for storage... and this is the message I get after I click on "Change read/write mode"...

    ERROR
    WARNING: The partition /dev/hda5 is of type NTFS! Writing to this filesystem can cause data loss. Because of that you should only do write operations manually and expect to have to reinstall the filesystem afterwards. This dialog won't do this risky thing for you and will quit now without changing anything.


    hmm?

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix can't read the hard disk filesystem type?
    By GuessWho in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 05:08 PM
  2. How to read the hard disk?
    By NinaBlount in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 12:43 AM
  3. Read Only Hard Drive Install
    By AndersonSS in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 06:35 PM
  4. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  5. USB drive read-only
    By Keilaron in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 04:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs picture

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs

$149.97



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00