-
XP - KNOPPIX Dual Boot with ONE Physical HD
I read around, and I guess it is possible, was wondering what I need to do BEFORE what is said to do here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174
Something like defrag windows, make partition with FIMP (or something)... err yea 
Maybe someone can just add a like Step 0 for me? 
Wil
-
Junior Member
registered user
Same problem here - a defrag of my single hd simply won't remove *all* used blocks from the end of my hd; qtparted says that the drive is fragmented even after hours and hours of defrags, including boot time defrags. I downloaded a trial version of O&O Defrag V4 Pro, mentioned in some other post, but it didn't manage to clear the drive sufficiently. I'd actually got up my courage to simply go ahead and tell qtparted to resize my partition, but (thankfully) it refuses to do so in the fragmented state. I expect this is an M$ problem that we really shouldn't be bothering this forum with, but then - whom else?
With sudo qtparted, I think you can resize and create partitions under Knoppix using a GUI - it looks simple and easy, but you'd have to make enough space on your hd before. Which is where we're both stuck, I guess.
Please note that I'm a total newbie myself - if you do use qtparted, don't write anything to disk if you're not sure. Also check this.
Regards.
-
Did more reading... and uhm well does this look right for a partition?
And just use hda2 for linux and hda3 for swap? Or do I just make one 4 gig EXT?2? partition and Knoppix will make the swap space for me? Help 

Wil
-
Senior Member
registered user
Those partitions will fine just let Partition Magic do the work knoppix will use them properly when you install BTW they will be hda5 for / and hda6 for /swap when you are done because they will be logical drives in an extended partition.
Similar Threads
-
By simmons71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-20-2005, 07:21 PM
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By plzdontspamme in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 05:26 AM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By pmxcrw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO)
$200.00

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$299.99

Vintage DEC Digital VR299-DA CRT Color Monitor for VAXstation 2000 Computer
$299.95

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips
$145.00

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) TK-50 Tape Drive
$80.00

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99