Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix on a DVD?

  1. #1

    Knoppix on a DVD?

    Has anyone tried using a DVDr to run Knoppix? Once I get a CD customised the way I need it, I am going to try.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    The main advantage I see would to have over twice the room for apps and kernel variants without having to use the compression algorithms to slow down performance.

    Main con: Won't work on older systems with hardware constraints that prevent using DVD. (Like my PPro200 SMP box)

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    another con is price of media, price of burner, not everyone has dvd drivers, and i dont know about this one, but can u boot from dvd?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I have also heard Mr Knopper say that the larger Knoppix becomes the slower it will become since Knoppix is basically one big file on the CD that has to be uncompressed. Having said this I don't know how much slower things would get and if it would be an issue. I suppose memory would be a big factor here.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northridge, California
    Posts
    48

    go for it

    I really hope someone makes a dvd knoppix distro. So maybe in 1-2 years when DVD disks are $0.25, you can then have a system where you never need to download or install a program. That is very possible.

    For example you might have 1,000 games to play. 50 which are 3-D with the quality of quake. The only problem would be cleaning out all the buggy programs and have them all in the kde menu.

    I would say 50 percent of windows users never get past solitare and explorer. Just imagine if they had that choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Micronik A1200 Infinitiv Tower, NEW IN BOX, Commodore Amiga 1200 Kit picture

Micronik A1200 Infinitiv Tower, NEW IN BOX, Commodore Amiga 1200 Kit

$1472.50



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit picture

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit

$888.50



Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs picture

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs

$950.00



Amiga 2000 2630/CPU 68030 25Mhz picture

Amiga 2000 2630/CPU 68030 25Mhz

$300.00



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$225.00



 Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128  picture

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128

$79.99



External fully assembled GreaseWeazle 3.5 inch Floppy Drive picture

External fully assembled GreaseWeazle 3.5 inch Floppy Drive

$135.00