Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix on a DVD?

  1. #1

    Knoppix on a DVD?

    Has anyone tried using a DVDr to run Knoppix? Once I get a CD customised the way I need it, I am going to try.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    The main advantage I see would to have over twice the room for apps and kernel variants without having to use the compression algorithms to slow down performance.

    Main con: Won't work on older systems with hardware constraints that prevent using DVD. (Like my PPro200 SMP box)

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    another con is price of media, price of burner, not everyone has dvd drivers, and i dont know about this one, but can u boot from dvd?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I have also heard Mr Knopper say that the larger Knoppix becomes the slower it will become since Knoppix is basically one big file on the CD that has to be uncompressed. Having said this I don't know how much slower things would get and if it would be an issue. I suppose memory would be a big factor here.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northridge, California
    Posts
    48

    go for it

    I really hope someone makes a dvd knoppix distro. So maybe in 1-2 years when DVD disks are $0.25, you can then have a system where you never need to download or install a program. That is very possible.

    For example you might have 1,000 games to play. 50 which are 3-D with the quality of quake. The only problem would be cleaning out all the buggy programs and have them all in the kde menu.

    I would say 50 percent of windows users never get past solitare and explorer. Just imagine if they had that choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco C9300L-48UXG-4X-A Catalyst 9300L 48-Port UPOE 12-mGig 4x10G Switch picture

Cisco C9300L-48UXG-4X-A Catalyst 9300L 48-Port UPOE 12-mGig 4x10G Switch

$2395.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch

$175.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9300L-48UXG-4X-E Catalyst 9300L 48-Port UPOE 12-mGig 4x10G Switch Tested picture

Cisco C9300L-48UXG-4X-E Catalyst 9300L 48-Port UPOE 12-mGig 4x10G Switch Tested

$2775.00



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00