-
Knoppix on a DVD?
Has anyone tried using a DVDr to run Knoppix? Once I get a CD customised the way I need it, I am going to try.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The main advantage I see would to have over twice the room for apps and kernel variants without having to use the compression algorithms to slow down performance.
Main con: Won't work on older systems with hardware constraints that prevent using DVD. (Like my PPro200 SMP box)
-
another con is price of media, price of burner, not everyone has dvd drivers, and i dont know about this one, but can u boot from dvd?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have also heard Mr Knopper say that the larger Knoppix becomes the slower it will become since Knoppix is basically one big file on the CD that has to be uncompressed. Having said this I don't know how much slower things would get and if it would be an issue. I suppose memory would be a big factor here.
-
go for it
I really hope someone makes a dvd knoppix distro. So maybe in 1-2 years when DVD disks are $0.25, you can then have a system where you never need to download or install a program. That is very possible.
For example you might have 1,000 games to play. 50 which are 3-D with the quality of quake. The only problem would be cleaning out all the buggy programs and have them all in the kde menu.
I would say 50 percent of windows users never get past solitare and explorer. Just imagine if they had that choice.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair
$88.75

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working
$150.00