Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix on a DVD?

  1. #1

    Knoppix on a DVD?

    Has anyone tried using a DVDr to run Knoppix? Once I get a CD customised the way I need it, I am going to try.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    The main advantage I see would to have over twice the room for apps and kernel variants without having to use the compression algorithms to slow down performance.

    Main con: Won't work on older systems with hardware constraints that prevent using DVD. (Like my PPro200 SMP box)

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    another con is price of media, price of burner, not everyone has dvd drivers, and i dont know about this one, but can u boot from dvd?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I have also heard Mr Knopper say that the larger Knoppix becomes the slower it will become since Knoppix is basically one big file on the CD that has to be uncompressed. Having said this I don't know how much slower things would get and if it would be an issue. I suppose memory would be a big factor here.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northridge, California
    Posts
    48

    go for it

    I really hope someone makes a dvd knoppix distro. So maybe in 1-2 years when DVD disks are $0.25, you can then have a system where you never need to download or install a program. That is very possible.

    For example you might have 1,000 games to play. 50 which are 3-D with the quality of quake. The only problem would be cleaning out all the buggy programs and have them all in the kde menu.

    I would say 50 percent of windows users never get past solitare and explorer. Just imagine if they had that choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B  607-0103-C  607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++ picture

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++

$169.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots picture

READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots

$850.00



Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X picture

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X

$180.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple Color RGB Color Monitor A2M6014. Used. picture

Vintage Apple Color RGB Color Monitor A2M6014. Used.

$199.99