actually I solved my own problem and have a working solution.
thanks to:
http://thinstation.sourceforge.net/
just boot up and logon to your server...cool
thought I would post for others interested in doing the same thing.
I am trying to utilize some old pc's using pilot linux (knoppix customizations) but most of the pc's bios do not support booting from cd.
what I am wondering is:
can I use a pxe capable nic to find the pilot.iso or the iso unpacked on the network on a server directory and boot from that?
(using Tftpon the server)
I'm also looking at a usb hub (usb over IP) that can plug into the network that I might plug a usb stick into that may allow booting from that :
http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp
dunno if this will work or not...
any ideas?
Has anyone used PXES Universal Linux Thin ?
http://pxes.sourceforge.net/
does it save as .img? .iso?
actually I solved my own problem and have a working solution.
thanks to:
http://thinstation.sourceforge.net/
just boot up and logon to your server...cool
thought I would post for others interested in doing the same thing.
PXES Universal Linux Thin Client ( http://pxes.sf.net ) can boot from the network and create ISO images as well ( http://pxes.sourceforge.net/features.html ).
And the ISO image is even small than Pilot Linux so you can use a business card size CD.

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72