This thread may help.
I have looked and tried everything I can find on the net but must be doing something stupid.
Simply put, I have installed Knoppix on my Hard Disk and am trying to get vncserver to run at startup in the same way it does when I run it from a console once logged in - (ie so I see a the same things on my desktop)
I tried using .kde/autostart and placed a link to vncserver in there - this worked ace until I realised that everytime I VNC'd to my Linux box it started another VNC server instance... not good - I ended up with about 20 instances in a day...
I tried changing /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc by adding the line
exec /usr/bin/vncserver :1
That didn't work.
I tried changing /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and added the line
:1 local /usr/bin/Xvnc -geometry 1000x730 :1
That didn't work - It can't be that hard <aahhhh>....
Help ?
Thanks
Phil
This thread may help.
Hi Stephen
Thanks but the problem I have is where to launch the vncserver from - which startup file and how... everything I have dont so far wont actually get vncserver launched..
Once its running its fine but I want it to autostart at bootup
Regards
Phil
#/bin/bash
su -c "vncserver -geomtery 1024x768 -name Knoppix:1" knoppix
^ Make a shell script like that. Stick it in /usr/local/bin. Make it owned by you and executable by all.
as root:
ln -s /usr/local/bin/vnc-script_name /etc/rc5.d/S99vnc
Note: I may not have the vncserver command exactly corrent, and there are a lot of options for you to decide on like depth and geometry. I'll have to look at my remastered CD to see what vnc scripts I used.
Thanks - Perfect - did the trick.
Thanks
Phli

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1785.15
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
Western Digital WD11PURZ 1TB Internal Surveillance Hard Drive Purple, SATA
$102.50
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.60
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
$480.00