Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: VNCServer after Knoppix HDD install.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3

    VNCServer after Knoppix HDD install.

    I have looked and tried everything I can find on the net but must be doing something stupid.

    Simply put, I have installed Knoppix on my Hard Disk and am trying to get vncserver to run at startup in the same way it does when I run it from a console once logged in - (ie so I see a the same things on my desktop)

    I tried using .kde/autostart and placed a link to vncserver in there - this worked ace until I realised that everytime I VNC'd to my Linux box it started another VNC server instance... not good - I ended up with about 20 instances in a day...

    I tried changing /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc by adding the line
    exec /usr/bin/vncserver :1

    That didn't work.

    I tried changing /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and added the line
    :1 local /usr/bin/Xvnc -geometry 1000x730 :1

    That didn't work - It can't be that hard <aahhhh>....

    Help ?

    Thanks

    Phil

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    This thread may help.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3
    Hi Stephen

    Thanks but the problem I have is where to launch the vncserver from - which startup file and how... everything I have dont so far wont actually get vncserver launched..

    Once its running its fine but I want it to autostart at bootup

    Regards

    Phil

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    #/bin/bash
    su -c "vncserver -geomtery 1024x768 -name Knoppix:1" knoppix


    ^ Make a shell script like that. Stick it in /usr/local/bin. Make it owned by you and executable by all.

    as root:

    ln -s /usr/local/bin/vnc-script_name /etc/rc5.d/S99vnc


    Note: I may not have the vncserver command exactly corrent, and there are a lot of options for you to decide on like depth and geometry. I'll have to look at my remastered CD to see what vnc scripts I used.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3

    VNC Perfect

    Thanks - Perfect - did the trick.

    Thanks

    Phli

Similar Threads

  1. could not start vncserver
    By charleswong in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM
  2. knoppix 3.7 remote desktop - VNCSERVER ptoblem
    By pupton in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 10:21 PM
  3. How to customize Knoppix live cd to autostart vncserver
    By patrick79 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 11:06 PM
  4. vncserver: connection to "Knoppix:1.0" refused by
    By hugo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:14 AM
  5. problem with vncserver
    By tegan in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ 5G 128GB SM-X238U Android Tablet New Sealed picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ 5G 128GB SM-X238U Android Tablet New Sealed

$150.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Samsung - Galaxy Tab S12 Ultra/S11 Ultra Pro Keyboard - Silver picture

Samsung - Galaxy Tab S12 Ultra/S11 Ultra Pro Keyboard - Silver

$229.99



Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



USED Samsung 12 GB (2GBx6) PC3L-10600R Server Memory Ram 1Rx8 picture

USED Samsung 12 GB (2GBx6) PC3L-10600R Server Memory Ram 1Rx8

$65.00



NEW, SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab Active3 Rugged Tablet, SM-T577U/DS, 8-Inch, 4G LTE picture

NEW, SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab Active3 Rugged Tablet, SM-T577U/DS, 8-Inch, 4G LTE

$269.95



Samsung Galaxy Book5 Pro 360 16in Core Ultra 7 16GB 1TB SSD Arc Gray picture

Samsung Galaxy Book5 Pro 360 16in Core Ultra 7 16GB 1TB SSD Arc Gray

$1500.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$55.00