Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: VNCServer after Knoppix HDD install.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3

    VNCServer after Knoppix HDD install.

    I have looked and tried everything I can find on the net but must be doing something stupid.

    Simply put, I have installed Knoppix on my Hard Disk and am trying to get vncserver to run at startup in the same way it does when I run it from a console once logged in - (ie so I see a the same things on my desktop)

    I tried using .kde/autostart and placed a link to vncserver in there - this worked ace until I realised that everytime I VNC'd to my Linux box it started another VNC server instance... not good - I ended up with about 20 instances in a day...

    I tried changing /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc by adding the line
    exec /usr/bin/vncserver :1

    That didn't work.

    I tried changing /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and added the line
    :1 local /usr/bin/Xvnc -geometry 1000x730 :1

    That didn't work - It can't be that hard <aahhhh>....

    Help ?

    Thanks

    Phil

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    This thread may help.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3
    Hi Stephen

    Thanks but the problem I have is where to launch the vncserver from - which startup file and how... everything I have dont so far wont actually get vncserver launched..

    Once its running its fine but I want it to autostart at bootup

    Regards

    Phil

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    #/bin/bash
    su -c "vncserver -geomtery 1024x768 -name Knoppix:1" knoppix


    ^ Make a shell script like that. Stick it in /usr/local/bin. Make it owned by you and executable by all.

    as root:

    ln -s /usr/local/bin/vnc-script_name /etc/rc5.d/S99vnc


    Note: I may not have the vncserver command exactly corrent, and there are a lot of options for you to decide on like depth and geometry. I'll have to look at my remastered CD to see what vnc scripts I used.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3

    VNC Perfect

    Thanks - Perfect - did the trick.

    Thanks

    Phli

Similar Threads

  1. could not start vncserver
    By charleswong in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM
  2. knoppix 3.7 remote desktop - VNCSERVER ptoblem
    By pupton in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 10:21 PM
  3. How to customize Knoppix live cd to autostart vncserver
    By patrick79 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 11:06 PM
  4. vncserver: connection to "Knoppix:1.0" refused by
    By hugo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:14 AM
  5. problem with vncserver
    By tegan in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware picture

Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware

$649.00



Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)

$149.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT picture

Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT

$7250.00



DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$100.00



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C picture

VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C

$140.00



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$95.00



VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5) picture

VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5)

$69.99



Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used picture

Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used

$160.00