Try XMMS and in the Play Location use /dev/cdrom.Originally Posted by JockVSJock
As root I can play audio cd, with xmms or kscd, as root.
Cannot do this as my regular user.
I've checked permissions, and changed owner of kscd to a user, but this still did not work.
Any ideas?
thanks
Try XMMS and in the Play Location use /dev/cdrom.Originally Posted by JockVSJock
I've tried /dev/cdaudio and /dev/cdrom and neither work with XMMS and KsCD.Originally Posted by Stephen
I think it is a permission issue.
That's weird what do the links look like here's what it looks like on mine.Originally Posted by JockVSJock
Just to ask the totally obvious you are a member of both the audio and cdrom groups for the user you are trying to play the CD with? Can you get access if you put a data CD in the drive and either click on the shortcut on the desktop or mount from the command line? And what is the exact error it gives you when you try to play in either program.Code:[09:54 PM Thu Nov 27: stephen @ ~] >$ ll /dev/cdrom lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2003-11-27 15:16 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cdrom0 [09:54 PM Thu Nov 27: stephen @ ~] >$ ll /dev/cdrom0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2003-11-27 15:16 /dev/cdrom0 -> /dev/scd0 [09:54 PM Thu Nov 27: stephen @ ~] >$ ll /dev/scd0 brwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11, 0 2002-03-14 17:54 /dev/scd0 [09:54 PM Thu Nov 27: stephen @ ~]
[edit]
You can check the group membership by using groupsor id in a console window. If you are not a member of either then adduser user_name audio or cdrom as root then logout and back in for the changes to take effect.
[/edit]
I've added my user, adduser user cdrom, and that didn't work.
My output looks like this:
When I run kscd, this is the error message that I get...Code:lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 8 18:59 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0 No output for /dev/cdrom0 brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 May 31 2001 /dev/scd0
CD-ROM read or access error ( or no audio disc in drive )
Please make sure you have access premissions to /dev/cdrom
I would say use chmod 777 /dev/scd0 as root to give it the same permissions as mine and anybody should be able to access the device.Originally Posted by JockVSJock
Got it.
I had to chmod ugo+x on scdo0 and cdrom and it works.
thanks

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Sandisk 1TB Portable SSD, read speeds up to 1000MB/s. {100% New}
$100.00
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48
External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00