Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix changed my HOSTNAME env var?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix changed my HOSTNAME env var?

    Knoppix newbie and only about 6 months on Linux. I ran it on a computer that already has Red Hat 9 installed. When I was done playing I shutdown. After booting Red Hat from hard disk, I noticed that the console prompt shows user@knoppix currdir$. The PS1 var looks normal ([\u@\h \W]\$). The /etc/hosts file looks good listing "localhost.localdomain". The /ect/sysconfig/network has "HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain". The /etc/profile is calling /bin/hostname to set the HOSTNAME variable. I can reset the variable temporarily or hard code it in the /etc/profile I guess to make it permanant, but I can't really figure out what is going on. Running "hostname" replies "knoppix" after each boot and trying to reset the variable with "hostname" does not survive a reboot. I have even done a recursive grep of /etc for 'knoppix' and can't find anything. Also, this or some other issue has broken an NFS mount that worked perfectly before I played with Knoppix on this machine.

    Anybody know what is going on?

    I saw a Bugzilla report (#309) with the following: DHCP client should not try to push hostname. Could this have something to do with it?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2

    Host name change

    Upon further review, this issue is clearly related to issue 304 in the Buzilla system. Knoppix DHCP client pushes the hostname up to the DNS server.

Similar Threads

  1. How to let Knoppix 3.7-HDD autoconfigure changed devices?
    By honigbaer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 01:31 PM
  2. Got knoppix from a frien and i am a changed man
    By leq75 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 05:39 AM
  3. Can't set hostname.
    By WimG in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 04:16 PM
  4. How do I change the hostname?
    By jensen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 10:30 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 11:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00