Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Modem Problem Under Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    18

    Modem Problem Under Knoppix

    New to linux my modem is a 3Com 56k Robotics PCI Modem that win 98 detects as installed on Com5.Its not detected by Knoppix I've tried three flavors of linux Mandrake 8.2.Redhat 7.3.Knoppix. Redhat correctly detects the modem how can I solve this problem.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    Does it actually work in redhat?
    If it's a winmodem, start at: linmodems.org
    If it's a hardware modem, disable any onboard serial ports you're not using in the bios, so the modem will install on com 1 or 2.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    18
    It actually works under RedHat is there maybe a config file I can check for settings under.It didn't work under Mandrake.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    18
    The Modem is 3 COM V90 56k Internal/Voice Fax Modem Model 0727
    Chipset 3CP3298-DEL
    FCC ID 4X2USA-32034-M5-E
    The database for PCI Modems that linmodems.org refers to says this modem is OK How do I proceed?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    According to that database, it's a hardware modem. So, it should install as a serial (com) port. You should be able to set up a connection with kppp or wvdial.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    18
    Ok I understand that how do i go about getting knoppix to detect it. Is there a config file under RedHat I could look at.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    In kde control center, you could look under information.
    Knoppix should detect a hardware modem.
    If it installs on com 5 (ttyS4), you may have to create it, since linux usually just goes up to com 4 (ttyS3).

    From the web:

    To create ttyS4 is easy, all you have to do is:

    cd /dev
    mknod ttyS4 c 4 68

    mknod creates special files
    ttyS4 is the name you want
    c means it's a character device
    4 is the Major number
    and 68 is the Minor number
    You can find the device numbers in
    the Documentation folder of the
    kernel source in the file devices.txt

    And for kppp I'd link ttyS4 to /dev/modem
    while still in /dev

    ln -s ttyS4 modem

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    18
    Thank you it worked!!!
    If I could ask one more question running Knoppix from CD obviously when I reboot settings will be lost is there any way to create a sort of script to run these
    cmds.If you can direct me to resources in this regard I would appreciate it.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3
    I have the same problem with USR5610B modem. I thought I read that /dev/ttyS4 had been added to knoppix 3.2. I downloaded 3.3 and /dev/ttyS4 in not present.

    I'm not quite sure about your information below like "From the web"

    What progam do you use to enter this information.

    I'm fairly new to linux. Tried mandrake about 2 years ago. Didn't have a good time. I've been DOS/Windows fan since 1987. It's time for a change.

    JimKes

    Quote Originally Posted by L2Cache
    In kde control center, you could look under information.
    Knoppix should detect a hardware modem.
    If it installs on com 5 (ttyS4), you may have to create it, since linux usually just goes up to com 4 (ttyS3).

    From the web:

    To create ttyS4 is easy, all you have to do is:

    cd /dev
    mknod ttyS4 c 4 68

    mknod creates special files
    ttyS4 is the name you want
    c means it's a character device
    4 is the Major number
    and 68 is the Minor number
    You can find the device numbers in
    the Documentation folder of the
    kernel source in the file devices.txt

    And for kppp I'd link ttyS4 to /dev/modem
    while still in /dev

    ln -s ttyS4 modem

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    If you go to kmenu, knoppix, configure, save the configuration, and make a persistent home, the changes may stick.
    Otherwise, in addition, you might write a script, put a shortcut to it in the kde startup folder, and it will run on startup.

    Commands like those in the "from the web" info are entered in a terminal. You may need to type su to become the root user.

Similar Threads

  1. KNOPPIX 3.6 -Sony Viao K13 modem problem
    By jamorris in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 11:46 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:39 PM
  3. Modem problem with Knoppix 3.4
    By schumi in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 07:40 PM
  4. knoppix modem problem
    By kchard in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 10:34 PM
  5. Modem Problem
    By victor_tote in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 08:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00 picture

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00

$279.00



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor

$249.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00